Vcore help? plz...

sniperviper21

Golden Master
ok so i cant figure out this Vcore crap for overclocking.

i can get upto 3.5Ghz on no increase on Vcore, running stock

at 3.6 i can barley boot, then i get an error.

Core temp says um at 1.35V, stock

so would logical step to 1.36 be a good step? or should i go a bit further with it? id rather not go past 1.4V, i think thats getting kinda high.

at 3.5Ghz, would my ram start to bottle neck my overclock?

and i know my cooler can take extra heat, it idles at 30C just surfing web and watching movies.

rep for helpful help...

VCC max on procs is about 1.5, but that's for 65nm Intel Quads. Normally, (Dr Thelis taught me this one) Google the VCC max most people have found for your processor and immediately set it to that number. From there, you can find a number at which is gets unstable or too hot. If it gets unstable, that's probably your max clock, if it get too hot, back the VCC down by hundredths until you have reached a stable clock. Raise the clock or VCC from there.

What i usually do is just go up one increment on the voltage and see how much further you can go without errors, then once you dont get an error i go up one more increment then run stability apps

Google the VCC max most people have found for your processor and immediately set it to that number.

Horrible horrible idea! Each processor is unique to itself. While they may be technically the same, there are singularities. Ideally, you want to follow zKilla's advice. However, there are short cuts. After a while, you start to pick up the pattern on your processor.

Like mine: I can go up 100Mhz every .025V increase. My full load temp (the only one that really matters) also increases by 3-4C or so with every .025V that I increase. My processor can handle a BIOS VCore of 1.6V.

Here's what you want to keep in mind while you overclock:

-Temperatures
-Test results

You want to make sure you're not adding to an overclock that's already unstable. Depending on the processor, it is a good idea to do a 5 hour P95 stress test every 250Mhz or 500Mhz. This way you don't have to go keep going back when you think you have your max OC. You'll get the hang once you start doing it. It is a good idea to lower your multi (if you have an unlocked one) and figure out the max bus speed your build can handle (this often involves the motherboard and RAM in addition to the CPU). Once you have this figured out, you'll be able to also overclock your RAM to its limits. It, ultimately, quickens the process of overclocking your machine as a whole.

edit: Beware of your VDroop. When you set your VCore to a certain number on your BIOS, it doesn't mean that's going to be your VCore under full load. Most, if not all, of the processors will have a VDroop when under full load (this is what causes the 10min P95 to differentiate for the 5 hour P95 test runs).

edit2: You can reduce your VDroop value by doing a pencil mod or a hard mod.

edit3: Someone should move this to the overclocking section.

ok, so heres what um gunna do...

increase FSB slowly by 1 till and increase Vcore till i get some issues.
then once it gets to hot/stable.

once i get my FSB as far as i can, i'll increase my multiplyer, since my chip is a BE.

atm its at 204x15-3060, vcore at 1.375

if the vcore is set to high in bios and u try to boot, will the proc just not boot/hang?
i dont want to fry it with to much vcore without knowing.

AMD! Yes! I'll be able to help you a little better.

I know that the Athlons can stand a lot of VCore. So I would assume the PII can get about the same. I'm going to venture out and say you should be fine up to 1.5V. We'll see.

Right now lower your multiplier to something that will allow you to push your FSB and not worry about an unstable overclock. When I test mine I think I used x12. Push your FSB by 5. Once it starts getting in the 250s use 2. Also, I'd like to point out that odd multipliers mean your RAM will run slightly faster than even multipliers (I have to double check this because I could have it backwards).

AMD! Yes!

before i read ur post, gotta say i like you a bit more now, lol

so, at stock clocks, my multi is at 15x

so i should lower it down a bit? like...11?

iv Never under clocked before lol.

an i'll try that with the FSB :)

at the said Vcore atm after a 12min P95 run, um stable at 41C max load.

Yeah! AMDs are fun to overclock. Intel's a little more challenging, but I think if you know what you're doing they'd also be pretty fun. Unfortunately, I can't help you any more tonight. I have class tomorrow morning. Good luck on your odyssey for a max frequency! You should be at least at 250Mhz. My chip capped at 242Mhz I think.

Horrible horrible idea! Each processor is unique to itself. While they may be technically the same, there are singularities.

No :|. It works, but you have to be careful in finding your VCC max. Compare sources and numbers. I'm aware of jems and lemons, but they normally have a common number that they can reach and be fine. Normally that number is supplied by AMD or Intel.

Back
Top Bottom