College Interview

I have an interview scheduled with an MIT alumni on Thursday, October 8th. For those of you who have been on one, what should I expect? Also, should I dress like myself (jeans and a nice polo) or should I dress formally? My initial plan was a nice shirt and dress pants. This is for my #1 choice school, so I'm looking to make a good impression.

I have an interview scheduled with an MIT alumni on Thursday, October 8th. For those of you who have been on one, what should I expect? Also, should I dress like myself (jeans and a nice polo) or should I dress formally? My initial plan was a nice shirt and dress pants. This is for my #1 choice school, so I'm looking to make a good impression.

nothing says ur there to play ball then a suit and tie.

and what are u going to MIT for.

@Sniperviper:I'm want a double-major in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering. I'm also considering getting a major in Mathematics from Wichita State University. Since I'm graduating high school with a minor + a 3 hour class, I should be able to get a major if I take 2 classes or so every summer. It's just an idea and may not happen. I still have to check on the possibility.

@zKilla:That sounds a bit weird. Dress pants and polo. Doesn't fit me at all, lol. I own black dress pants, so I was going to wear a blue shirt and no tie. It's like you're going formal, but casual at the same time.

@Sniperviper:I'm want a double-major in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering. I'm also considering getting a major in Mathematics from Wichita State University. Since I'm graduating high school with a minor + a 3 hour class, I should be able to get a major if I take 2 classes or so every summer. It's just an idea and may not happen. I still have to check on the possibility.

when i went to my college to get in, i wore a suit, did a firm hand shake, repeated there names when i entroduced myself,
"Nice to meet you Mr./Ms. whoever" after they said there names.
dont always keep eye contact, to much would make u seem like a creepy mo fo.

take a portfolio with you, make it a nice one, maybe a copy of your transcript, and attendance, maybe a copy of a resume u have now.

if they ask you, what u do in your spare time, dont say u like to play video games, Do say that you like to modify computers, systems, networks, ect, just be sure its activities that you actually do, and enjoy. Dont just pull it out of ur ass.

take a drink of water before the interview, dont let ur voice slip because your nervous.

and be honest, if they ask you a technical question, and you dont know it, dont BS an answer for it, tell them you dont know the answer, but you would be more then willing to learn about the said subject.

Iv had 8 interviews in 2 years, and iv gotten 7 of those jobs.
so i got a bit of an idea how it works.

Thanks for the advice. I am generally pretty good about a firm handshake, introductions, and eye-contact. I would have never thought of bringing a portfolio with me though. I don't have a ready resume either.

i got a leather folder from walmart that zips up, its got a calculator in it, a tablet/calendar type thing, and places to keep cards. with a pocket for loose paper. it was like 10 bucks or so

you could just make a resume with your background history, schooling, include your attendance in high school and GPA if its good. 95%/3.8 or better. any certs you got if you do, and past job employment.

I would say you need to wear a tie. It's better to look a little overdressed than a little underdressed. You should look as professional as possible.

Back
Top Bottom