Wireless to Wired??!?!?!

Depja

Baseband Member
Hey I have two computers right next to each other in one room. One of the computers has a wireless card so it has the internet. I want to run an Ethernet cable between the 2 computers so they can share the wireless connection. Is this possible?? I have tried and the non wireless computer says " limited or no connectivity". Please help me!

I don't think so.... What you will need is a router/wireless access point or just get a wireless network interface card for the other computer. But you can't connect a computer to another computer to get internet access, at least I don't think you can. It doesn't make sense that it would be able to do that but who knows, maybe there is some special way to do that. Is this other non-wireless computer a PC or laptop?

Just get a router, those have a couple ports in the back if you don't want wireless, then just buy an ethernet cable and you're set :)

OK I have a wired router sitting around so I plugged in an ethernet cable from each computer into it. The computer said it was connected to the network, but when I tried accessing the internet nothing happened!! What now?

check your modem next. Could you type in "ipconfig/all" into the command prompt and give us the info for that? I think that can help us out too. If everything with the modem, I would check with your ISP...

Did you setup the router to work with the modem? You might also need to change it's (the router's) MAC address to what the computer that the modem was connected to had (it's a setting in the router setup page).

Connecting two computers with an ethernet cable won't work, unless both computers have gigabit ethernet, or you use a crossover ethernet cable.

Back
Top Bottom