XP not recognising new SATA drive.

dogtang

Beta member
Can anyone help. I have 2 IDE hdds one running XP Home edition. I have bought a new SATA 500Gb hdd and have plugged it iin to a sata connection on the MOBO and connected power. When I turn on the computer I see it recognised in the BIOS start up and if I go into the BIOS it is visible. However when I go to My Computer all that is displayed is the 2 IDE drives.

What am I missing?

Stupid question, forgive me.
But did you plug the power into the hard drive, and also the SATA connectors into the right slot?

All the connections are correct and there is power (hence the sata drive being recognised in the BIOS settings and in the pre windows BIOS load up).

I am thinking you need to format the drive for it to show up on Windows.
Can you check if the drive shows up in the Device Manager?

Does not show up in device manager.

When the system loads there is an option to enter RAID facility. I went into this, and again it recognised the sata drive and allowed me to do a low level format. I do have an underlying knowledge of computers and computer systems (all be it a basic one - I did build the current PC) so I would like to think that I have all the basics covered, however there is always the possiblilty I have overlooked something simple. Needless to say it is driving me nuts!
Am I missing specific drivers for the sata for windows to see it?

Sometimes, even if it shows up in BIOS, it still has to be enabled. Also, check which port on the motherboard it is plugged into (SATA 0, SATA 1, etc.). Usually the SATA ports are enabled separately.

Sometimes, even if it shows up in BIOS, it still has to be enabled. Also, check which port on the motherboard it is plugged into (SATA 0, SATA 1, etc.). Usually the SATA ports are enabled separately.

this, if it's showing up in bios and not on your OS it might just have to be enabled. even if it's not formatted it will still show up in disk management.

I'd say Atomic hit the nail on the head. Chances are it needs to be initialised and formatted, not sure if it will show up even in device manager prior to being initialised. Computer Management in Administrative Tools is your friend :)

Back
Top Bottom