Pheom Over clocking/possible watercooling

So at the moment,i can hit around 3.5Ghz/3.6Ghz but the temps are a bit high (Load 55c) but anything higher than 3.6 and I'll just get BSOD's or random shutdowns/freezes and that's not mentioning the high temps.

So,I Was wondering what would be the best part to upgrade to acheive a higher OC:

-Motherboard
-Cooling Setup (Go to Water cooling)

Plain and simple,i want to hit 4.0Ghz :D (Friendly Competition between me and a certain someone,you know who you are ;) ).

A new motherboard is a definite win here. The one you have now is only a 770NB and 700SB. I mean you might be able to push a little more out of it with watercooling but not much. you would be better off with a board that can give you more than just dumping more volts into your cpu to stabilize it

What are you using for volts right now and have you done anything with the NB and SB? Have you tried downclocking your memory at all and loosening up your times a little?

I know those 940's can get more than 3.5 unless you got a bad chip but you still should see more than that.

All Voltage are stock and my RAM Timings are stock aswell. I Kinda though my motherboard would limit my overclocking.

Any recomendations as to some decent motherboard for OC'ing?

If you're looking for a good motherboard try a 790FX. I'm a little out of the motherboard circle, so I can't tell you exactly what to look for. I know that the 750SB is a very good overclocker. If you give me some time I can do a little research.

Yeah im slowly researching cases and Motherboards,if i have enough dosh i'd like:

-New Case
-New Motherboard
-New Cooling Setup
-More RAM

And build a second linux box out of the leftover parts.

well that is actually a pretty good OC on stock volts. try bumping the volts up a notch and you should be able to get a lil more. Oh wait you said you are already hitting 55* on stock volts under load? The max for the Phenom II's is 62* so you are already getting pretty close I would also definitely look into a new cooler as well that thing obv isnt allowing you much more room. What are you using for thermal paste and what type of airflow does your case have? That seems really high to be on stock volts with an aftermarket cooler unless you have really high ambient temps

Im Using the thermal paste my Aftermarket Heatsink came with LOL. That's one thing i really SHOULD Change LOL,but nevertheless i would still like to go with watercooling :D

Probably Zer0Cool. If I hit 4GHz on my 680i, I'd cry. And become a recluse.
I can't even get post at 2.66GHz with this board. Zer0Cool has the CorsairH50 LCS.

Back
Top Bottom