D-Link DGL-4500 Internet problem.

Zer0Cool

Fully Optimized
This started happening about 2 weeks ago (might be after I did the latest firmware update).

Router: DGL-4500 (latest firmware)
Internet: Verizon Fios
Hardwired (symptoms on both wireless and wired)

This is hard to explain, but I will try. This had happened to me 3 times in total in the last 2 weeks, my internet speed crashes to almost nonexistent.

What's strange is I can be playing an online game and using VIP program like Ventrilo and be fully connected to it, but my internet browser would ether not load at all or work very very slow. I tried checking for internet speed, but it wouldn't even start.

Simple restarting the router does nothing. Unplugging from power also has no effect. When I was on the Phone with Verizon rep (FIOS) she want very helpful, but after lots of procedures I was able to get it to work normally however what exactly was done to fix it was inconclusive.

I am currently on hold for a FIOS rep because I have this issue right now again, hopefully they can fix it once more. My brother's PC also has the same problem so it's not just my PC.

What can I do to fix this?

Basically, a DNS (Domain Name System) is the "thing" that makes... for instance google.com into an IP address. If your ISP's DNS server is down, then when you try an access google.com, it cannot resolve the domain name into an IP address, so the page will not load.

The reason you would stay connected to ventrillo is because it will have resolved the domain name of the server allready, and will only have to so that once (when you connect to the server for the first time in that session)

Without a DNS, you would not be able to access websites through their domain names.

Back
Top Bottom