Background Image for multiple PC

abramenko

Beta member
We run a football pool at work, and as the IT guru I have been tasked with changeing the desktop background for all computers to show the status of the pool. We currently use GPO to set everyone's background to the same image, so it's just a matter of renameing a new image everyweek. Problem is, that requires the user to re-logon in order for that to take effect. I would like if when everyone came in, there screens were already changed. I guess I could just force a log off, but with over 200 users that could be rather time consuming, plus with all the computers being locked at the end of the night, who know what might not get saved if I force a re-log or reboot. Is there anyway to make the desktop refresh with out those options??

i'm not sure how to refresh without loging off.
you could try setting the background to a webpage then you could add some html to refresh the page.

They don't log off and shut down at the end of the day? What a waste of energy and a strain on the computers.

Back on topic: I don't think there is a way to refresh the group policy without a logoff/logon. Logically the only time that the computer loads the group policy is at logon so I doubt there's another way to do it. Why not just email the results...unless all 200+ employees are in the pool.

you can update group policy on a machine without an update by typeing gpupdate at the command prompt.
or gpupdate /force.

You could also look at one of those wall paper changing programs that update the desktop at a given interval, (like once an hour) in an attempt to keep your desktop looking fresh.

You could use active desktop to display an internal web page that has the scores published live to the desktop.

Lastly, you could investigate some kind of news ticket that would send results scores and company news etc.

you can update group policy on a machine without an update by typeing gpupdate at the command prompt.
or gpupdate /force.

Yes but it will still force you to logoff for the policies to take effect if they've changed.

Back
Top Bottom