New build help to replace broken PC

d_source

Daemon Poster
Hi Everyone. In my other thread I described how my b-in-law fried his PC. We are now going to replace the box, not the peripherals. He's looking to spend about $400CAD. He doesn't game. The PC will really only be for checking email, Facebook and that kind of stuff. I think he'd get more for his money with an AMD based PC (but correct me if i'm wrong). And he doesn't want to replace the peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse) so he'll need old skool connections, RGB for the monitor and PS2 for the keyboard/mouse (unless these can come with the box under $400). I would prefer pick up from stores like Canada Computers, PC Village, Tigerdirect since these stores are all driving distance from me. Any suggestions would be very helpful, since i haven't looked at PCs in years.

BTW, i am checking with him to make sure he still has the installation CD for the OS, so we prob won't need that either.

Thanks.

I'd go with the Intel-based choice of the two. Except for the the HDD capacity, it seems to have slightly higher specs. The deal breaker would have to be the video card (the AMD system has only onboard video).

I'd go with the Intel-based choice of the two. Except for the the HDD capacity, it seems to have slightly higher specs. The deal breaker would have to be the video card (the AMD system has only onboard video).

Onboard video should be more than enough for what he needs to computer for.

Well generally they wouldn't really refurbish the CPU or anything important like that, it would be way to hard and not logical.
I think the video card or something along those lines was fixed, and even if that breaks you can use on-board video, so it's not a problem for you.

Back
Top Bottom