word problem

chrisf-1

Baseband Member
Hi can anyone advise me on a problem I am having with Microsoft word I have just installed Microsoft office but the files in my documents are trying to use word-pad I want them to use Microsoft word can anyone in layman's terms tell me how to do this I assume I have to make it the default program but how?Thanks Chris

Right-Click on the file> Open with....>See if Word is an option. If not then hit browse or choose a program and find in your C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Winword.exe (or wherever you installed the program to). See if that works.

Or you could open Word first then click on File>Open and find your files and open them that way.

It is not showing word as an option but it is definitely installed as I can use it and save in my documents but when in my documents it is changed to word-pad. Thanks for the reply and I hope you can assist me Chris

Pulled off of another forum: (It works the same in XP as well. Let us know if that works.)

have you tried this (assuming you are on w2k - not tried it with xp)

start > run and type control folders and hit enter,

folder options should open

go to the 'file types' tab and scroll down to find and highlight .doc
click 'change' and add word from there

if that fails, click 'advanced' then 'edit'
now you will be able to browse to winword.exe and add it manualy

Thanks everyone the problem seems to have sorted itself now what is confusing me is the icon for each file is different from the normal W shown when using word the icon they are all using is an A and I am using XP Thanks Chris

Back
Top Bottom