Advice on laptop specs.

cpousnret

Solid State Member
I'm considering the purchase of a new Dell studio 15 laptop. I have a budget of around $1000.00. I want something that downloads fast, allows me to to watch news clips without stoping and starting, lets me write buisness letters, create documents, download, store and share photos/videos, do online banking. I don't do video games. The following are the spec's I choose so please let me know if they are adequate for the above purpose.
Processor-Intel core 2 duo (2.0GHz/1066Mhz
Vista home premium edition sp-1 64 bit
Microsoft office home and student 2007 w/word, power point and excel
4GB shared dual channel DDR2 at 800 MHz memory
hard drive 500GB SATA 7200 rpm w/free fall sensor
Video Card 256MB ATl mobility HD 4570
8x slot load multi (DL DVD+/-R Drive +RAM support)
Dell wireless card 11g Half Mini-Card
Correl Paint shop pro photo X2.

I have very little knowlege about those numbers and would like a LAYMANS EXPLANATION about my choices. Thank you very much!!!

you should lower the video card spec provided for a faster CPU and RAM speed (and memory for RAM). Integrated cheap video cards would do fine if you don't really play games.

you should lower the video card spec provided for a faster CPU and RAM speed (and memory for RAM). Integrated cheap video cards would do fine if you don't really play games.

The one I selected comes with the unit. I can downgrade to a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD and save $75.00. Will that slow down or stop watching news videos?

The one I selected comes with the unit. I can downgrade to a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD and save $75.00. Will that slow down or stop watching news videos?

It should be fine for videos. They can even stream HD without problems. You definitely want a faster processor if you're going to be using photo editing software. Do you absolutely HAVE to get a dell? I know a laptop that would be perfect for you and cost you about $200 less, so you can upgrade it.

Those laptops are pretty good. They come with the new i7 720QM processors. These processors are quad core, but depending on the amount of processors you use, the speed can vary.

For example, using 2 cores, u get higher clock speeds than using all 4 cores.
This is extremely useful if u want a computer for gaming and multitasking.

Props to Intel!

Back
Top Bottom