vista service pack crashes my laptop

Mantook

Baseband Member
After I install the service pack and try to reboot my system it starts doing the install on reboot (like usual) and stops in the middle of it, frozen. I have to do system restore after this, but EVERYTIME I install the service pack it does this. Any suggestions? %^#$%# VISTA! :mad: :mad:

There is a chance that your computer doesn't have specs good enough to run vista. I would say check your specs first.

I doubt the above is the case since otherwise Vista probably wouldn't have installed correctly to start with.

First off I'd recommend downloading it again, it's not unknown for corrupt downloads to cause this sort of a problem. Failing that:

It's possible there's a driver conflicting with it - try disabling devices one at a time and see if that helps. You might also want to run scandisk to check for any disk surface errors (these may well throw the installer off.) It's also worth running memtest just in case it's a memory issue - again that could cause a sudden deadlock.

If all that fails, you could try making an image of your disk, wiping it and restoring it to factory settings, and then putting the service pack on then. If it goes on then you know it's a software conflict somewhere down the line, if it doesn't then it's something deeper - perhaps contact microsoft, check for any existing issues online with other users and wait to see if a fix is brought out that works for you.

Well.. it's a brand new laptop. Besides, I don't think HP would pre load a laptop with a operating system that is not compatible. Pretty sure it's good enough anyways. As I said, it's only when I install the SERVICE PACK.

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core QL-64
3 GB DDR2
ATI Radeon HD 3200 RS780M

I doubt the above is the case since otherwise Vista probably wouldn't have installed correctly to start with.

First off I'd recommend downloading it again, it's not unknown for corrupt downloads to cause this sort of a problem. Failing that:

It's possible there's a driver conflicting with it - try disabling devices one at a time and see if that helps. You might also want to run scandisk to check for any disk surface errors (these may well throw the installer off.) It's also worth running memtest just in case it's a memory issue - again that could cause a sudden deadlock.

If all that fails, you could try making an image of your disk, wiping it and restoring it to factory settings, and then putting the service pack on then. If it goes on then you know it's a software conflict somewhere down the line, if it doesn't then it's something deeper - perhaps contact microsoft, check for any existing issues online with other users and wait to see if a fix is brought out that works for you.

Thanks! Will do that ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom