How to make my printer wireless?

Juan handed

In Runtime
I have a HP printer,an all-in-one,that reads photo cards,FAX,scanner.It is not hooked up to a PC.

What kind of options do I have to make it part of a network and be able to tell my laptop(s) to print to it? Right now,I have to plug in a USB wire connecting both.

thanks.

Well, is there an ethernet port on the back? If so...then it was designed to be used on a wireless network...just plug it into your wireless router with a CAT5 cable and you're computers should pick it up automatically.

If it's a USB Printer, they have "converters" that assign it an IP address so you can print directly. These devices cost around $40+

Also, if it's a usb printer only, you can just share it on the PC it's connected to (provided that this PC is on the network) and all the other computers on the same domain/workgroup can connect to it and print. No extra hardware needed...

Edit: Sorry, my bad. I didn't read the part where you said it wasn't connected to a PC.

Joga, cboucer, please read the entire thread before posting.

Thanks.

So, yeah my method will work the best. Remember if I helped you to give me a thumbs up aka a green light. Thanks in advance.

I was wondering how long it would take before that JXiPlatform guy got his account disabled...

Thanks for the help guys.The printer is probably about 9 y.o. so I think it predates ethernet,I'll check.Pretty sure it's USB only.

I would say that $50 is the budget...I have a desktop Dell(about 5 years old) that I got for zero dollars about a year ago,I need an excuse to set it up.I could just stick the printer on it.

That would be another option. You can set up the printer to this old Dell and put this Dell in the same workgroup as your other computers (they must all be in the same network). This would essentially make the old Dell a server for the printer.

Yeah,I'm leaning toward that the more I think about it.

I've been thinking about a media server for a while,especially to rip my CD collection,maybe I'll mess around with the Dell,till I can figure out what to build.

Back
Top Bottom