IP's

sniperviper21

Golden Master
is it illegal to track/find out someones IP address?

if its not illegal to,

how do i go about doing it?

just wandering, because someone added me on myspace and started to chat with me, and tried to get me to send them money ect to Nigeria to get them back to the states ect...
pile of BS ya know?
i hate scammers
with a passion

is it illegal to track/find out someones IP address?
No.

just wandering, because someone added me on myspace and started to chat with me, and tried to get me to send them money ect to Nigeria to get them back to the states ect...
pile of BS ya know?
i hate scammers
with a passion
...but you're implying you want to do something that is there!

Just what do you plan to do with the IP address when you have it? Your IP address is probably tracked at least a few times each day as you visit various sites and there's nothing wrong with that.

There's also a myth going round (and there has been for some time) that implies that if you know someone's IP address you've as good as "hacked" their system. Umm... no. I'd tell you my IP address here and now if you like, but I highly doubt you'd be able to do anything ;)

id like to know how to do it for future instances, and if this crap continues, i'll be able to turn in the address to the authorities. I hate scammers and people who send u those joke emails

Easiest way would be to direct him to a website with some form of logging, then grab it from the logs. Or open up a connection to him somehow (video / audio chat on msn, skype for instance) and grab it from that.

Even turning the address into the authorities is unlikely to do much if anything though - especially if they're abroad. Don't forget that they might be using any number of techniques (anonymous proxies for example) that make it nigh impossible to track you down. Staying anonymous online, if you really want to and know what you're doing, is a darn sight easier than most people realise. Unfortunate in most cases, but true.

Finding out someone's IP is not illegal, but there are highly illegal things you can do with it. All depends on what you do with it.

If all you want to do is turn it into the authorities that's fine, but it won't do any good if they're smart and use a proxy.

id like to know how to do it for future instances, and if this crap continues, i'll be able to turn in the address to the authorities. I hate scammers and people who send u those joke emails

Yeah... just like everyone says its not illegal. All it is is the location on a network, notably the internet (different from physical location). Once you find the location and ID it there are more stuff to be done to exploit.

With your scammer stuff... that really has nothing to do with your IP address. With the joke emails, they just get a collection of email addresses and create a bot to send it out, then forward it out to your contacts and it just grows.

If you want to stop that, check for malware on your computer. And if you do turn in the addresses to the authorities it won't help catch the "bad guys." Like it was stated earlier, they can use a proxy site, or just got to a public location with a laptop, or just dynamically change their IP address. Its pretty easy to cover your tracks. For example....

At my university there is a common area that has a food court, seating area, etc... called "the Idaho Commons." I can bring my laptop there, get on wireless and each time I get on, a different IP is assigned to me. Once I get done with all my dirty work, I simply sign off and leave. The only thing that authorities can see is an IP address that was used when it happened. Who knows, DHCP might have assigned that same address to someone else that got on once I got off.

Not illegal to find/track but it will be illegal to do something with that IP, you can simply report the IP to myspace/FBI http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx sites like this will allow you to report crimes and you can post the IP in the complaint that you file. Really its not going to be worth your time to try to anything with that info.

As stated > not worth it. No one is going to be able to help you do anything anyway. Just don't add/talk to people you don't know...lol general rule of the interent.

Back
Top Bottom