Secondary SATA drive. Please help!

sr240noob

Beta member
Hi, i am having issues installing a second sata drive as stated in the title. Its a WD 320GB drive. I Got it out of my old DVR box and i know it works in the dvr, I just cant get it to show in my PC. I checked Bios and Nothing. Any ideas?

Might need to check Computer Management and initialize the drive. Or at least confirm its recognized as being powered on. If in BIOS it is not showing the drive, then I'd double check the connections. Confirm that the power and data connections are intact ... at both ends.

As far as I know a Hard Drive out of a DVR is different to the Hard Drive in a computer.

My Computer > Manage > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management(local).

Check and see if you see the drive here although it probably wont be visible here in if not in the BIOS.

Dumb question time (but always worth asking). Have you double check that all the cables are plugged in and tight?

Go in the bios under the drive set up and make sure the sata port it is plugged in to is enabled. It should at the least recognize the drive is there if the port is active. You're most likely not going to be able to use it until you format it to a type recognized by the OS.

Well i figured it out. Apparently DVR drives us a "Power -Up in Standby" feature which doesnt allow the pc to get the drive to spin. I had to use a tool called HDAT2 and boot it off cd and it got the drive to spin when PC powers up. Than once it was spinning i was able to wipe the drive and format it right there in HDAT2. Drive works great now. Thanks for all the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom