New build for my mom. there is a problem though.

WeedCali

Baseband Member
So i just finished up building my mom a new PC.

Rosewill R6426-P BK Case
Raidmax RX380K PSU
ASUS M2A74-AM mobo
AMD Sempron 2.7ghz Oc'd to 2.85ghz using the asus utility(really cool)
Kingston 2GB HyperX DDR2 1066 RAM

I have WinXP and Kubuntu 9.04 installed and Kubuntu runs great! (thats what im typing this on)

Windows wont load correctly so it takes me to the screen that gives you the option to load into safe mode and last good configuration etc. so since none of them work, i figured i would just reload Windows... problem is, i cant boot from CD. i went into the BIOS and changed my first boot device to CDROM and it does the same thing it did before.

can anyone help me? i will also be contacting ASUS for help as well.

is the CD an original copy? If copied, was it burned at a proper speed to ensure the ISO got burned clearly?

Have you attempted a BIOS update on the comp?

No i have not tried a bios update. i havent done anything from the mobos CD since it wont do anything in Kubuntu. the WinXP Pro disk is an original copy.

Do a BIOS update and work from there. I really can't think of any reason other than a corrupt disk or BIOS for it not to boot.

On a simpler note, make sure you saved your BIOS settings when you set them.

i did save them. so what would i do to update it? ive been to their website and seen some but how do i know? just choose the newest one?

When you say it doesn't work, what do you mean? Do you get a blue flash and the thing restarts? If so, it may be worth turning off the "automatic restart on system failure" option and then seeing what the error message says, this can point you in the right direction.

I'd also download memtest and give that a run, I've found windows systems far less resilient than *nix varieties when it comes to running on dodgy RAM.

Open the 'boot.ini' file. It will open in 'Notepad'. Copy and paste it in this thread...

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties or click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.

On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery.

Under System Startup, click Edit.

also as i stated earlier. i can only run kubuntu, no windows.

but i did figure something out. my mom wanted to save a little money and save her cd and hard drives. they are both IDE so i bought a controller card. so instinctively i hooked up the HDDs to the mobos one IDE channel and the CDROMS in the controller card. well turns out its a RAID card so i though i was screwed and had to buy a new one but then (DUH) i realized ill just put the HDDs in the controller card cause thats what its for.

so after doing that, the CDROMs work and i pop in the WinXP disk... press any key etc. etc. i get to the point where you choose to install a copy, repair a copy or quit and it tells me theres NO HARD DRIVES!!! what the hell? im getting very confused from all of this. :confused:

So from the above post are you now running the two hard drives through a RAID controller?

If so it's almost definitely because windows hasn't got the drive for the RAID controller available - you'll have to load it yourself. Download it to a disk, then when windows loads and says "press f8 to load driver from disk" (or something similar) press F8 and select the appropriate driver. It should then recognise your drives.

Back
Top Bottom