CPU Thermal Compound

guitardude777

In Runtime
I'm building a new computer and I'm pretty sure the new processor's heatsink will come with thermal paste/compound already on it. Is it fine to just use that thermal compound? or should I buy new stuff?

Yes it does come with it applied, make sure to peel the sticker off that comes on it though :)
You will be fine with that one.
If you REALLY REALLY want those extra few degrees you could get other compounds, but the one that comes with it is fine.

i would say itll be fine. if you ever see that it starts getting hot i suppose you could get a different compound:D

I know your supposed to use rubbing alcohol to remove the stuff, but does it matter what type of cloth you use to remove it? I'd worry about static being created when removing the compund.

I use a q-tip....
Just get one of those microfiber cloths they use to clean glasses :)

Goo Gone leaves an oily residue that has to be gotten off. Artic has a cleaner kit that is worth investing in. Or if you're impatient like me a trip to the drug store and get denatured alcohol. You'll have to ask for it at the prescription counter. Tell em what your doing and get a small amount. It vaps real fast so keep the cap on the bottle when you're not using it. And no smoking or open flame or sparks. It's low vap point makes it burn easy.

Are you going to be overclocking? If so, you definitely want to pick up MX-5, TX-2, or TX-3. Make sure you also get an aftermarket cooler.

Back
Top Bottom