Which Laptop should I get?

Okay I've been looking at MacBook's for a bit now and have finally decided I want to get one. I've been looking these two models.

The regular MacBook features:
* 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
* 2 GB of 800MHz DDR2 RAM
* 160 GB 5400RPM Hard Drive, DVD/CD SuperDrive
* Mac OS X 10.6 Leopard Operating System
* Advanced GeForce 9400M NVidia Graphics, 13.3 Inch Glossy Display
Price $978

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254003241&sr=8-3

Or I can go with the Macbook Pro

The Macbook pro features:
* 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor
* 2 GB DDR3 RAM
* 160 GB Hard Drive, DVD/CD SuperDrive
* Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard operating system
* 13.3 inch LED Display, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics
Price $1199

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1254003286&sr=8-1

Here are the differences

MacBook - White polycarbonate enclosure
MacBook Pro - Precision aluminum unibody

MacBook - 13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
MacBook Pro - 13.3-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display

LED is probably a decent reason here. Much better display? There both 1280X800 though.

MacBook - Scrolling trackpad
MacBook Pro - Multi-Touch trackpad

MacBook - 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
MacBook Pro - 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor

Not much better than the regular MacBook

Everything else is essentially the same. I think it comes down to the LED screen and DDR3 memory. Is it really worth an extra $200?

I'm planning on using this for school when I'm on the road and designing applications for the iPhone. About the only real programs I'm going to use are Office and Photoshop from it. I've got a good PC at home for gaming and more intensive stuff.

Should I splurge and get the Pro or just buy the Regular one?

I would go with the Macbook Pro because in time, that LED screen and DDR3 memory will save you power consumption which will in turn cause less overall component heating and longer lasting laptop. :)

You love buying electronic toys don't you?

Can you get one with a 7200RPM drive? Would make a pretty big difference I think. Otherwise, if battery life isn't a huge issue, the regular one would proly be good.

I would go with the Macbook Pro because in time, that LED screen and DDR3 memory will save you power consumption which will in turn cause less overall component heating and longer lasting laptop. :)

You make some pretty good points there!

You love buying electronic toys don't you?

Can you get one with a 7200RPM drive? Would make a pretty big difference I think. Otherwise, if battery life isn't a huge issue, the regular one would proly be good.

Ha I don't mind buying them on occasion! I wish they had something cheaper honestly. I hate paying a premium just to have apple but I need it to develop on.

I just looked and they don't have a option for a 7200rpm HD. Only 5400 or $400 to upgrade to SDD. That isn't going to happen though lol.

I don't suggest the MacBook at this point. That machine is seriously overpriced for what you can get. If you upgrade to the MacBook Pro, you get an aluminum chassis, better build quality, better screen and a longer battery life.

I don't suggest the MacBook at this point. That machine is seriously overpriced for what you can get. If you upgrade to the MacBook Pro, you get an aluminum chassis, better build quality, better screen and a longer battery life.

Yes you make a very good point for the difference. I actually found a mac deal site and found this refurbished one direct from apple.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470LL/A?mco=Nzk2MTU0Mw

I think this is what I'm going to buy. Its only $100 more than the 13.3" Macbook pro. It looks like its got the same warranty and everything. Think the refurb would be the best option? $400 off the retail of a new 15.4" MacBook Pro.

Go ahead with it. Apple's refurbished products are usually identical to their new counterparts.

Back
Top Bottom