Dropped laptop needs help!

Moonlightman

Baseband Member
I dropped my Toshiba satellite laptop a few days ago and it caused some problems with it, There is no visible damage to it and I am actually using it now to post this thread but after I dropped it I opened it up to find a blue screen and then when I tried to restart it went through an hour or so of something it called "computer repair" or something like that and now when it is starting up it takes about 4 or 5 minutes where it used to take 20-30 seconds and when it finally starts up it gives me an icon that says NDSTray.exe unable to locate component and it says Wlanapi.dll was not found and configfree(TM) tray stopped working. Once it starts up it runs fine for a few minutes and then it feezes up for 2-3 seconds... I tried to do a system restore but it says no backups available. What is wrong with it and what should I do? thanks in advance for any help you can give.

My advice would be to have a look at the SMART status on your disk (have a look in the BIOS) it sounds like you might have damaged it. If that's the case you'll need to back up all your data as quickly as possible (I'd advise backing it all up anyway) and grab a new disk.

If the computer was off (It wasn't specified in the OP), I'm not sure if SMART would see any issues. Berry is dead on though with backing up as quickly as possible.

You will want to get a new HDD as well as Berry mentioned. They are not meant to withstand drops of more than a few inches when off, on they are a lot more delicate.

Backup all your data because your HDD is probably bad. At this point, since you can turn it on, it may survive, but it's not going to be able to be fixed. You might be able to reload Windows and see what happens, but it's likely that it won't reload for you. I'd backup your data (as stated many times) and look into buying a new HDD for it.

hmmm. Have you considered just buying a new laptop? That might fix the problemo.
Great advice.....:rolleyes:

Anyway, just for the record, was the laptop turned on?

What happens with hard drives when they have an impact like that is the little read/write arm that moves across the platters touches them and either makes a mark or a nice scratch if the platter is spinning, making that part of the platter unreadable. Nothing is EVER supposed to touch those platters, even a speck of dust can cause a problem.

To me, this sounds like your problem....you need to grab some cd/dvd's and start burning your data, with the quickness. (or however you wish to back up)

hmmm. Have you considered just buying a new laptop? That might fix the problemo.
Damn, a light bulb just went. Guess I'll have to buy a new house now...

Back
Top Bottom