On checking HDD in XP

reburns

Beta member
Hello,

I experienced a couple corrupt photo files which may be the fault of this newish HDD. Also on boot-up windows started to run a check but would pass and eventually continue on to boot. I decided to run (XP) drive Properties > Tools > Error Checking, and selected both options for repair, and the process has been running slow for about 16 hours, and now the progess bar seems stuck at about 40%.

The drive is a WD2002FYPS, enterprise-grade 2GB and is not the boot drive. I've used it for a month or so. The PC is a Dell Precision T3400, a couple years old. Most all data is backed up elsewhere with the exception of edits made yesterday. While the error checking is in progress the drive is not accessible.

What should I do for this situation? Thanks much, Ralph

The drive may be worn out, but maybe not. I would try backing up all the data on the drive. Then, with the drive at working temp., repartition and reformat the drive. Then test it.

I have run across a couple drives that just kept coming up with errors that a repartition and reformat fixed. It may not work, but I think it is worth a try.

The drive may be worn out, but maybe not. I would try backing up all the data on the drive. Then, with the drive at working temp., repartition and reformat the drive. Then test it.

I have run across a couple drives that just kept coming up with errors that a repartition and reformat fixed. It may not work, but I think it is worth a try.

I should first ask if I should let the "check disk" utility continue to run or interrupt it. I'd like to recover yesterday's work.

And hold on, the drive is 1 month old. When booting XP did a check and found no bad sectors. I agree that a reformat might cure it. It's under warranty, so I might pursue that replacement before reformatting. It was destined to go into a RAID NAS once faster HDD's are available for my desktop (WD2001FASS).

If you arn't in a hurry let check disk finish.

I agree with you, warranty before reformatting.

I got your message seconds after I rebooted. Good news is that I could access the HDD and pull off files.

However something is fishy with that drive and I'm running the extended WD Lifeguard test (5 hours).

I have my finger on the "buy" button on a WD2001FASS 2TB Caviar Black drive to replace it. The squirrely WD2002FYPS is destined to go into a RAID NAS... or was destined.

Running WD's Lifeguard test showed this WD2002FYPS as defective and I RMA'ed it.

I waited too long to order that WD2001FASS Caviar Black & they are now out of stock.

Back
Top Bottom