Using server as a network drive

LH-Danny

Baseband Member
I have a spare PC lying round with Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard installed - I would like to store files on the server, and make the server appear as a Network Drive on the other 4 PC's throughout the house so any of the PC's can click on My Computer or Windows Explorer to access the files.

Three PC's are running Windows 7, One is running Windows XP. First of all, I'm pretty sure this is possible but second of all, I have no idea how to do it. Is there some sort of easy guide you could link me to?

Thanks. :)

Thank you for the link, got everything up and running. However, everything is completely wireless at the moment and files only seem to be transferring at around 600KB/Second which is a bit of a pain - If things were wired, do you think I could get better speeds?

But surely the wireless shouldn't be as slow as that?

Odds are wireless will be much faster. Remember that enviromental things such as phones, walls, microwaves or electrical-wiring interferes with the signal and can slow you down. Even if just your server is hardwired you should notice a small increase in performance.

All the computers on my network are connect via wireless and always have been, they've always been able to reach the maximum speed of the internet which is about 7Mbps. Theoretically wireless can reach 54Mbps so it should atleast reach 7Mbps because the internet can reach that, but the network cant. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Wiring the network is a little bit out of reach as I'm living in a rented house and I don't think the landlord would want holes drilling through the downstairs ceiling to upstairs.

Lan bandwidth is interesting. I just transfered a 1.36 GB file from a NAS four disk raid 5 array to my computer SATA II solid state drive using cat 6 cable and a Gigabit switch. The transfer averaged between 11 and 12 MBps. That is just slightly over 10% of the available bandwidth. I wonder where the bandwidth bottleneck is?

Back
Top Bottom