Got my first job as a PC Tech today at a realtor

newjacksm

In Runtime
It's off the books. There last guy basically screwed them by putting 512kb in a system that was running vista. He also put 40gb HDD on the system , oh best part he didnt even put all the screws in the Motherboard. Supposidly they gave him a lot of money because they thought he was good. Me I have no cert I am going to school for computers and they hired me off the books.

I told them that I am not going to charge for parts for ovbious reasons and WHATEVER computer problem there is FLATRATE 100 dollars if its easy if its hard 100 Dollars a computer from building the computer to putting ram in it.

The boss wanted 75 a computer but I declined and got 100 because I really thought 100 was low enough.

I am excited because this is my first job in a long time, and this is a great experience.

I also offered free lan fixing because well I am not good in that area and I want experience. I am going for my cisco cert and I would love to troubleshoot it and gain knowledge.

Does anyone think the deal I got was good or bad?

There is about 10-15 computers. I fixed 2 today. Going back tomorrow to fix another 2 and maybe look at the rest to see what kind of hardware they need to run faster.

Could turn out good or bad at this point. It's good you got your rate and you are going to get experience. Just be nice and curtious to everyone and don't make them feel stupid about asking you anything that way you can use them for a reference later on.

Typically there is an hourly charge so I hope that is what you mean.

Na, I just said 100 dollar per computer no hourly charge well because I am not in the system. This is off the books. It is as if I am my own company working for some one else now coming in to fix there own stuff. I don think I will be there forever. I am doing a complete overhaul on there systems and when I do that I will be gone.. But when they need help I will be the person to call. The more and more I think about it, it is really cheap but what ever I dont mind it. It's money and not a lot of people have jobs right now.

And I make my own hours.

All true points but the company I worked did just what you're doing in a town of about 25,000 total people. They charged about $65 an hour and businesses didn't have a problem with that. They charged people $55 an hour.

I'm not saying anything bad about you're deal and I understand it's cash in your pocket so that's nice. I'm just saying for future reference.

Anyway good luck and I hope you get plenty of good experience.

Wow thats good, then again I dont have any credentials. This is my first place and I am not actually hired by these guys I am actually my own boss. I am acting like my own company here.

I am getting payed 400 bucks for building 4 computers and installing Vista on them to me that isn't bad. My next job is to figure out what kind of ram is needed on the computers downstairs and have them order it and put that in there which overall is going to cost them 100 dollars.

Anything they want me to do usually is going to be packaged in for 100 bucks, like building a computer w/os and the ram deal.

If they just wanted me to wipe out the PC and put in a OS 7 that would be 100 bucks as well. It just makes things simple for me and them.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting completely ripped. Like I said they wanted me to do 75 bucks a computer and I refused it.

I told them that I am not going to charge for parts for ovbious reasons
(whaaa?)

are you sure that you don't mean $100 call out charge, ten parts on top of that?

if you say $100 to fix any problem what are you going to do if a CPU has died, or if you need to buy more RAM? or a new PSU. I'd have taken the $75 and said that parts (if needed) are extra.

and you'll find that this is the best way to start a computer business, I've had a few people ask me if I'd start up a computer business specifically because I don't rip people off.

(the last time I did this was I went to a friends dads business and showed them how they should install the RAM in their PC, after seeing how easy it was to just push the stick into the slot they decided that they should probably stop using their current IT guy as he'd charged then a hundred quid, (£100, not $) for the same job. -I had said that they should just pay for the RAM, and I'd do the work as a favour.

Well I tell them what they need and they order the parts, I dont order it. Thats why I am not charging. I am charging however to basically tell them what there computers need.

EX: Ram Information CPU Socket Information HDD Information So if they ever need to upgrade they know what to get

Today I got payed 150 dollars to give them a info on there motherboard and basically change out ram for on 3 computers..

Back
Top Bottom