Am I lucky enough for this to fit?

winslow33

Daemon Poster
My friend is selling a '96 Ford Taurus for $200.
It needs 3 new wheel bearings and a coil spring and running board to be certified. I know that he's not hiding anything, he's pretty much my best friend and bought it last year in the hopes of fixing it but hes got no money to pay rent, so the cars gotta go. I helped him fix some other stuff on it this summer so i know the car pretty well.
But I dont have a whole lot of money to buy new parts. My dad has an old '96 Pontiac Sunfire at the farm, so I'm thinking, if the wheel bearings and coil spring on the Sunfire are in good enough shape to pass certification, am I lucky enough for them to fit into the Taurus? I know its a long shot and probably a stupid question, but I figure its worth a try, i mean if it works I can get a certified car for under $300. Seems to me both cars are the same year, MIGHT fit if im really lucky.

My friend is selling a '96 Ford Taurus for $200.
It needs 3 new wheel bearings and a coil spring and running board to be certified. I know that he's not hiding anything, he's pretty much my best friend and bought it last year in the hopes of fixing it but hes got no money to pay rent, so the cars gotta go. I helped him fix some other stuff on it this summer so i know the car pretty well.
But I dont have a whole lot of money to buy new parts. My dad has an old '96 Pontiac Sunfire at the farm, so I'm thinking, if the wheel bearings and coil spring on the Sunfire are in good enough shape to pass certification, am I lucky enough for them to fit into the Taurus? I know its a long shot and probably a stupid question, but I figure its worth a try, i mean if it works I can get a certified car for under $300. Seems to me both cars are the same year, MIGHT fit if im really lucky.

not being funny, but if the springs and bearings from your dad car did actually against all odds fit,

then what?

the car passes the inspection and what's your plan then? you put the old unsafe ones that are worn out and broke? and fit the working ones back to your dads car?

that doesn't sound too smart to me.

anyway, you need some springs, and some bearings, the bearings at least are fairly essential, and if you shop around, perhaps visit a breakers yard you might be able to find some. perhaps have a check on ebay and see how much they are going for.

if you think that the car is worth $200 then why don't you get it? you can always save up to get the bits that it needs, or perhaps borrow some cash from your parents?

My dad doesnt want the Sunfire anymore, the transmissions dead and not worth replacing. I'd just keep the parts in the Taurus for good. And your right I probably should just sit on it anyway until I got money. New parts will last me longer than old ones that I'll probably rip out to find they dont fit...

New wheel bearings are cheap. Look for springs in your local wrecking yard. Sounds like another lost cause to me.

car $200
springs $68 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-9...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

bearings $24 each http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

total cost $364

as for the running boards, these aren't essential items,

if they are so badly corroded that they form a danger to the public and thus wouldn't pass a safety inspection then the best advice is to just take them off.

you might be able to find these as some generic part, or go on a hunt in a salvage yard if you really want them.

UPDATE: Bought the coil spring today, brand new $80.51. My friend owns a full car garage, I might drive around tomorow and have him help me pop it in...
Now I'm looking out for 4 16" winter tires, because all the Taurus has is summers and 2 semi-bald Good Year All Seasons in the trunk...

Back
Top Bottom