New computer Help

Gamer07

Solid State Member
Im thinking of gettimg a new computer and would like some feedback from the experts. I now have a Dimension 8300 thats about 3 years old. I have upgrade a few things in it, but want something thats more for gaming.
Ive heard that the best gaming computer is one that you build yourself but with lack of money right know, I only have one choice and thats to buy from DELL again ( i have a credit card with them).
So I have been looking at the Studio XPS 9000, the XPS 630, or the Alienware
Area-51.
Im trying to keep the price under $2000. With that price range i would be able to customize any one of these three to a better gaming computer.
So any advice as to what one i should get and what upgrades I should add would be great.

What do you mean by you have a credit card with them? My understanding is that you have a credit card that will be later charged by Dell (essentially a regular credit card). And if that's the case, there's no reason why you couldn't buy parts somewhere else. For less than 3/4 of the price you could build your own for the same performance. However, if you have CREDIT with them, and they'll just send you $2000 worth of equipment for free (basically), then I understand.

Out of those listed, I would go with the Alienware (designed to be a gaming computer) with the following upgrade:

Instead of a single nVidia GTX260, select a single ATi HD4870X2.

For now, get 3GB of RAM. You can later upgrade to 6GB for equally good and cheaper RAM from newegg.com. Add any peripherals that you need (mouse, keyboard, monitor, headphones, etc).

Here's the link to the page: http://www.alienware.com/customize/a51-x58-desktop.aspx?SysCode=PC-A51-X58&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

The total should come to $1400 before peripherals.

I have a dell credit card that can only be used at Dell. I realy like the alienware but dont you pay "for the name"? Thanks for the help.

Alienware is good since it has a really good Price-to-Performance ratio right now for the Area 51 x58. Dell 630 is a good choice in terms of in it's price, $1599, it includes the warranty and all the hardware options. The only bad thing would be the DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz speed which falls behind the Alienware's DDR3 1333MHz speed.

Right now, Alienware seems to be going through a major restructuring or whatnot, and their PCs are more than just a brandname. Dell XPS 630 as you know is also a really good stable computer. Dell is also beginning to spread it's name amongst PC gamers.

If you want other brands, try Ava Direct, iBuypower and Cyberpower.

I'm not a financial expert or anything but unless the 'credit card' is a gift card that has money on it, then you'll still have to come up with the $2000 at some point. It doesn't make sense to charge it and pay it off slowly (and incur interest pentalties therefore paying even more for the computer) when you can save up and buy parts one at a time over the course of a couple of months for 1/2 the price....just my opinion.

I'm not a financial expert or anything but unless the 'credit card' is a gift card that has money on it, then you'll still have to come up with the $2000 at some point. It doesn't make sense to charge it and pay it off slowly (and incur interest pentalties therefore paying even more for the computer) when you can save up and buy parts one at a time over the course of a couple of months for 1/2 the price....just my opinion.

Good point!

Before ordering a computer from Dell, Gamer07, be sure you understand the interest rate on the card. I've seen interest rates on cards like that as high as 21 percent. That, in my opinion, is highway robbery! If the interest rate is less than 10 percent, it may be worth considering if you want to pay over time.

Thanks so much for everyones help. I think im going to take your advice and wait. Dell has a no intrest for 12 monthes on alienware computers right now, and I could pay it off when taxes come around, but if I just wait till then I can build my own for probably alot less then dell will charge me. Thanks again everyone for all the advice. Im glad I asked before just ordering.

:D No problem. That's what we're here for.

When you get ready to build, come back and there will be more than enough people willing to help you decided what parts to use.

Besides ava direct, ibuypower, and cyberpower, are there any other sites you
guys recommend?

Back
Top Bottom