Netbooks, a good investment or not quite?

Netbook Shopper

Solid State Member
My dinosaurus laptop is dying and I was going to get a new one, but I've been seeing these Netbooks at the stores. They are much cheaper than a laptop, have better battery lifes, and are much smaller, making it easier to carry to class with me. The main thing I'm wanting to use it for is in class internet research, word processing, viewing PDF, maybe a small amount of photo edit with Arcsoft photostudio (nothing major.. I really don't know what I'm doing with that, but sometimes I get bored), maybe google earth or some geology/geography programs and mapping programs, maybe but not definitely.

but mostly pdf, internet, and MS word.

they do not have CD rom drives.... so I wonder how much that will limit my capabilities. I can get an external CD drive, but i wonder how much of a hassle that would be, when I can just get a laptop instead.

for my uses, is it a good investment? or just go ahead with the laptop and try for a netbook when I have some excess money to spare?

Netbook is pretty good alternative PC, and most people say you can do 80% of your normal Computer activity with it.

The only problem is the smaller ones have a really tiny screen and it tires your eye after some time.

Get like a 10" or more netbook if you want to get one.

Also, netbooks are pretty much for Web Surfing and Very Simple applications only idk if it might be able to handle photoshop.

My friend uses a Asus netbook and a desktop. He runs W7 on his netbook and said that runs really fast for the amount of RAM he has in there. He says his netbook does every he needs it to do (the same things you need. He's a college student and takes and reads notes on it).

netbooks, slower then a laptop, faster then a mobile phone.

You can build a decently fast desktop and netbook for the same price as just 1 O.K. laptop.

This is what i tell people to do, you've got your portablity, and you've got your speed (and reliablity) plus its a lower cost of ownership since when laptops break its not cheap to fix.

I'd say that is a good use of $$

Well netbooks are used just for browsing and basic programs like watching videos and such. If you are a gamer, netbooks will really not cut it. I have also seen some netbooks worth more than a regular sized laptop that has a better specs on it.

Netbooks, well lets just say they have the performance of my old 2003 Dell Computer, except less. I suppose its portability is a plus, performance isn't good nor too bad. Its battery life doesn't last all too long, I would say about an hour or an hour and a half, really depends what your doing on it. I suggest getting a better laptop.

Back
Top Bottom