Laptop can't handle movement

Yeah, I was looking into that anyway.... the 1GB sounds like it will do me fine with my limited usage of this machine... word processing, pdf, and internet.... shouldn't think it would take toooo terribly much. Sounds like if I get a new HDD and some more RAM then I could be set for the next few years, which is great... I'd rather not spend money I don't have to spend.

I found some RAM for you at buy.com. Newegg, our trusted computer parts website, does not have any of the kind that would fit your notebook (as honestly, it is pretty outdated).

I'm willing to bet that your laptop's HDD standard is IDE (because of its age). So for a new HDD, you'd be looking at this 80GB one.

The total of these purchases, with S&H factored in, would come to about $110. For an upgrade, it seems too expensive. I would recommend you get one of these Asus Eee PC. They're small and battery life is wonderful. It should fit your needs perfectly and will be a good investment.

Yeah, I've been wondering about those netbooks. My only real issue is that if I'm buying a new machine it has to last me a while and I want it to be able to take whatever I throw at it (not literally). Netbooks have no CD drive, though i do know I could get an external one that hooks up through the USB port. I'm so iffy on it, but with the battery life and size (which helps on the portability) it's very inviting. If I back up the stuff on my husband's desktop that is using linux, I could switch it so it runs on windows instead with the help of our friend, and then I could use his as a base computer and the netbook simply for lugging to class/work which may be the better idea. I need to do some convincing. I need to make it sound like I cannot fix the computer I currently have, and convince him that the netbook is my best bet.

Would he still be able to use/edit his files that were using Linux if he now would not have a computer running on Linux? I have no idea what the issues with going between OS's are, except that I get pissed off when the departmental computers at school try to turn my MS Word documents into DOCX, thus making the file unreadable to those computers.

You can set up a dual boot on your husband's computer. This way, if he wants to use Linux, he can boot into Linux. Conversely, if you want to use Windows, you just select Windows.

Back
Top Bottom