Help!! URGENT

wizard12

Baseband Member
My computer just got totally messed up.
I was trying to download a torrent off of piratebay.org using ktorrent on linux and when i went back to check on it later my computer screen was black and wouldnt turn on again. I took off the computer case door to see that the cpu fan was not spinning and nothing working at all. Also, i saw that the video card fan protector was hanging off. This all happened with the power button still on. I turned off the powerstrip and turned it back on, then i tried to restart the computer to no avail. Also the light on the motherboard is on and green, i assume that that means that it is working. When i was examining the GPU fan i found a big dust mite stuck in the fan. do you think that a computer component might be burnt out? Do you know what happened?

PS. I'm not sure if i should put this in hardware or software, it could be either.

Let me try to understand this: When you hit the power button, nothing happens? If so, try this jump start to see if your PSU is OK. If it is, you should be able to power on and thus hear moving parts (fans, hard drive).

It sounds like the video card overheated if the fan wasn't on properly. Did you reseat the fan and see if it was spinning? It is possible that the video card is now junk if it overheated too much. Is there on-board video that you could try? Unplug the computer (from the back of the tower), leave it out for about 20 seconds, then plug it back in. Verify that everything is properly seated and attached, and turn the computer on.

It sounds like the video card overheated if the fan wasn't on properly. Did you reseat the fan and see if it was spinning? It is possible that the video card is now junk if it overheated too much. Is there on-board video that you could try? Unplug the computer (from the back of the tower), leave it out for about 20 seconds, then plug it back in. Verify that everything is properly seated and attached, and turn the computer on.

Even if the video card fried he should be hearing the HDD clicking, fans spinning, and the POST beep.

Ok i figured out that my GPU got fried so im looking for a new one. Can anyone recommend a good graphics card that preferably below $150ish? I would prefer it to be Nvidia. I use PCI Express 16x.
Question 1: Do i need a certain mobo for PCI Express 16x 2.0? Does it work on any computer with a PCI Express slot?
Question 2: I want to uninstall all my Nvidia drivers so that when i get the new GPU i can start out fresh. Can anyone tell me how to do this or a free program that can do it for me?

You should verify that it's not the psu first. If you have one that you know works, hook it up and try it before you rush off to buy a video card.

Back
Top Bottom