new install (xp pro)

in2media

Solid State Member
ive just reinstalled my pc and laptop using xp pro
i run through a belkin mimo router which works fine with my other pcs. since the reinstall tho i cant connect to the internet on either the laptop or pc (but can on the other systems)
when i check the ip address of both pc and laptop it says 169.177........ instaed of 192.168.......... and i cant seem to shift it:mad: :confused:

Have you tried setting a static IP for your computers? I'm assuming that you installed the correct LAN hardware drivers after installing WinXP.

drivers are fine (motherboard disc on pc and dell disc with laptop) and i use driver agent as well

not tried static ip as i dont know the ip address

You don't need to know the IP address to set one correctly. The usual setting would be something like 192.168.1.1 for your router / dns settings, 255.255.255.0 for your subnet and 192.168.1.x for your PC.

Failing that you could try 192.168.2.1 - not sure about nowadays but that tended to be what a lot of the belkin routers used to use by default.

put in static ip and subnet is 255.255.255.0
dns 212.212.212.212
laptop connects to router strength is excellent it says but if i try the internet all i get is page cannot be displayed
and i cant access the router from the laptop

Are you trying wireless or wired? If you are trying wireless, change to using wired and see if that helps.

update
think wireless port on router gone as someone near me has a belkin unsecured router and i can connect to it but not mine
when im connected to the unsecured router alls well

Are you using WEP? or any other encrytion software? have you checked the keys you use, have a look also to see if you are behind a firewall that is blocking your router, also try using an ethernet cable from your router to your pc or laptop(LAN) to see if you get a connection that way. it sounds to me like an encryption problem

Back
Top Bottom