custom cooling...

sniperviper21

Golden Master
ok, i got an idea for a custom cooling design thing...

anyways...

this idea has the ability (i think) to cool my CPU down to around freezing, maybe below, so...

Question 1)

is there a limit to how cold the internals of a computer can get without damaging them?

and also...

Question 2)

using air from outside to cool a computer internals, is there any threat of humidity affecting the internals of a computer?

THOUGH, this idea will only be used for the winter months, not summer months.

Question 3)
so i believe in the winter, the air has almost 0% humidity, even when it snows, as long as its below 0C or 32*F, am i right on this?

if you're cooling to the level of freezing or below humidity will be a real concern.

but if you're already chucking a cooling plant so big at the box, why not seal the box and have the air inside at as little humidity as possible with crystals like silica gel?

I mean you're not going to get cooling to zero with air, or water.

you're looking at some fairly hefty compressed gas rig like from a freezer or something.

um going to suck air in from the outside when it gets cold here in the winter, avgs 25*F in January, feb is even colder...

and the outside air will go in through dryer vent hoses, into the front fans, and then through out the case, and then the back 2 fans will blow the warm air through vent hoses back outside :)

Bad idea. What if something gets into the vent? Also, if it's freezing cold, it will make condensation all over the case. Plus, it will cause all of your components to contract, which may seriously mess some stuff up. I would have to say it's a bad idea.

It does help to get cold air to your computer.

My set up used to be in the cupboard downstairs near the back door which gets cold in the winter months. I had the same thought when I saw the temps drop after opening the back door and letting cold air, @ 0-5 celcius, flow into the cupboard. In the mornings after a cold night it would take a couple minutes for the CPU fan to start turning, well after i'm into the OS - I have Asus Q-Fan switched on in the BIOS. The bonus is that it cooled everything in the computer. The HD's, GPU, CPU and chipset. And I didn't have a problem with condensation.

I'm going to run an experiment when i've upgraded and run a remote computer in the garage, in the winter with bench mark tests, to see how cool it will run.

So I say, if you like to experiment, then go for it and report back.

Hmmm...

that's an interesting idea...

you get air from the outside where it's colder and pump the freezing air into your case from the freezing outside.

assuming that you filter the air with a mesh screen of some sponge to stop leaves getting sucked in, (perhaps an air filter from a car).
anyway, the air isn't going to condensate on the hotter parts as the air is colder than the parts, and should be flowing fast.

if you're literally just pumping cold air against it, it's when you get forced cooled metal blocks pressed against the CPU when condensation would occur.

but...
given the specifics of your plan, I've got two criticisms.

1, you'll never reach zero or even near zero, even if it was -5 outside you'll be pumping that cold into the house heating it up all the way, you'll have to bring your feed pipe down to a size that'll fit into a computer case, so I doubt your ability to move enough air, or move the air fast enough to get serious cooling.

2, your cooling will only work in winter, what are you going to do in the summer?

I mean unless you're planning on just going outside to play in the sunshine, I don't really see the point in something that'll only work in the winter.

basically, I don't think that you'll get enough cooling for any serious over clocking, and even if you could make it cold enough in the coldest bleakest winter, you;re still a bit stuffed in the summer!

if you really wanted to just rely on cold weather cooling why not just get a KVM extender and actually put the PC outside rather than worry about trying to duct cold air through your house

you'll never reach zero

i meant 32F or so, depending of course, but i see your meaning.

only work in winter
this has mostly just been an idea floating in my head, an it would still work well i'd think on cool summer nights.

but Dryer vent hose's would be the perfict diameter to use for bring'n in the cold air...id think, i'll get a little bit of it first to try it out, see how it does.
and my fans on the case itself have mesh dust filters, and of course i'd put something on the end of the tube, too.

plus the window is like, 2 ft from my tower lol

basically just a tinkerer idea, i always like to invent clever, but sometimes useless, inventions lol

The question is that is there any real point in doing this? Are you planning on mass overclocking or something that you need that sort of temperature? You aren't getting any performance gains if you are just making things run cooler; and you are potentially damaging your components if something goes wrong.

I guess it would be cool to experiment with this, but with the cost of money to run it and so on wouldn't be worth it if you plan on doing nothing with the experiment. Also, where would you vent the air from inside the case? Would it go into through the case, and vent into your house? That isn't very efficient is it? Making your computer run cooler, while you freeze your ass off, and run the electricity/heat bill.

I guess it would be cool to experiment with this

thats why i am going to do it.

cost of money to run it and so on wouldn't be worth it
could easily be done with house hold objects, and some things from dollar general.

where would you vent the air from inside the case

it would go into a return hose that would vent back outside. of course.

run the electricity/heat bill.
heat is free, and i dont use electric heat lol.
plus, i leave my bedroom windows cracked in the winter, i love cold weather.
wouldnt bother me

guess you could call me Grizzly Adams lol

Back
Top Bottom