how to tell if another network is on ur wireless channel

theshadowxx

In Runtime
hey I set up a wireless network in my dorm, and there are alot of wireless networks here, so I was wondering how to find out if I'm on someone else's wireless channel? cause whenever I try to get on my network I connect, and then it says i have 54mbps, but then when i try to browse it slows to 48mbps, then 36mbps, then 24bmps, 6mbps, and then 1mbps. it just keeps changing between those and the internet goes very slow...

The old classic NetStumbler should do the trick. You can use it to see what wireless networks you are exposed to and what channel and signal strength they are. That will help you choose the best channel to use.

[Edit]
I just checked my area just now and I see a strong signal on channel one and a moderately stong signal on channel nine and eleven. So, my wireless network is on channel 5.

channel chart Note: scroll down to the Graphical representation of Wi-Fi channels in 2.4 GHz band chart.

ahh thanks, we'll i guess it wasnt someone being on the same channel cause Im sitll having the same problem. how come my internet drops? to like 1mbps from 54mbps and then to like 24mbps and then 36mbps, and then back to 1mbps? why is it fluctuating like this?!?

what devices are u using? are u using a laptop or a desktop with an adapter? i had this problem before figured out it was my adapter i think it got to hot after a while cause i had it on all the time but i just switched to Ethernet and now im fine

ahh thanks, we'll i guess it wasnt someone being on the same channel cause Im sitll having the same problem. how come my internet drops? to like 1mbps from 54mbps and then to like 24mbps and then 36mbps, and then back to 1mbps? why is it fluctuating like this?!?

I find that tipical for wireless, even with a strong signal. The bandwidth will fluctuate quite a bit. That's why I use twisted pair cable whenever possible.

If you log in to your router's page you should be able to find a section where it gives you all the MAC addresses connected to your internet network. If there isn't, then there should be a similar page that allows you to select which MAC addresses (computers) can connect to your wireless.

JogaBonito1502, I got the impression that theshadowxx was worried about his wireless network being on the same channel as a neighboring wireless network, possibly causing him loss of bandwidth. Not someone being on his wireless network.

Of course, network security is always a good idea!

Back
Top Bottom