Dvd+r

m4rkf0x

Baseband Member
So I bought a pack of TDK DVD+R Dual Layer 8x 8.5GB disc
But when I put it into my machine It says I only have 7.96 GB to burn ?:confused: :confused: I thought these disc for an easy back up of files for my grandama's computer not even lying she has 8gbs of things she wants to keep, her DVD drive does support dual layer disc. I really dont think its a driver problem... are all disc like this? or did I get ripped off for buying the cheaper one.:mad:

eh Ill try compressing the files, duh.

It's because the manufacturer defines 1GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes, where as technically it is 1,073,741,824 bytes. So the disk can ACTUALLY hold 8,500,000,000 bytes (=7.96GB), and not 9,126,805,504 bytes (=8.5GB)

There are some differences in the way that capacity is stated in many forms of storage. (And manufacturers always want you to see the biggest numbers!) Also, the storage format usually requires a certain small percentage of space on the storage medium. I don't think you got ripped off. It is just unfortunate that you may have to use two discs to back up the data. That being the case, along with the higher cost of dual layer discs, you may want to consider using multiple single layer disks.

Back
Top Bottom