Internet speeds... help

kr1ck1

Beta member
Okay so i just started college and i know there are hundreds of kids all using the same internet, and my computer is not slow or normal in the least. so im just wondering if there is anything i can do to speed it up ? i can't even skype with my girlfriend! its at .93 Mb =/

Also would it be possible to say use a different provider for my internet than anyone else in the building?

No, that is the speed you are getting. You 'may' be able to use a different provider. I doubt however, that since you are in a dorm, a provider would want to come and hook you up and the college won't allow them too anyway. Unfortunately you are pretty well stuck with what you've got.

I'm not too sure, but you can always try getting closer to the access point. It will increase signal strength and possibly bandwidth as well.

I'm not too sure, but you can always try getting closer to the access point. It will increase signal strength and possibly bandwidth as well.

There is nothing that you can do really. If indeed you are on wireless (and your signal strength was low) you could move it closer... but im guessing that your comp is in your room... and you dont want it to get stolen lol.

No, that is the speed you are getting. You 'may' be able to use a different provider. I doubt however, that since you are in a dorm, a provider would want to come and hook you up and the college won't allow them too anyway. Unfortunately you are pretty well stuck with what you've got.

Wow, that really sucks. I guess the only other option is Netcafe (although I doubt you can find one close to the school)...

You could go around door to door and tell them to stop torrenting/p2p'ing and you'd probably see a significant speed increase. :D

You could go around door to door and tell them to stop torrenting/p2p'ing and you'd probably see a significant speed increase. :D

haha that Torrent is AWFUL at sucking bandwidth. That file share just sucks. I was reading an article on that and several businesses are now putting a complete ban on extreme filesharing like torrent because the network can't even operate. Just a big trouble maker for networks.

Okay so i just started college and i know there are hundreds of kids all using the same internet, and my computer is not slow or normal in the least. so im just wondering if there is anything i can do to speed it up ? i can't even skype with my girlfriend! its at .93 Mb =/

Also would it be possible to say use a different provider for my internet than anyone else in the building?

Do you use WI-FI? If so check out an antenna...they go for about $20 and it doubled my wi fi signal speed. if it's ethernet you're pretty much screwed.

Back
Top Bottom