Possible Builds?

shozzking

Daemon Poster
I'm planning to build my first computer within the next 2 months(as soon as i save up enough money), i have chosen 2 possible configs. any suggestions would help greatly.

The Parts that are in my computer for sure
Antec 1200
$199 CAN

2X WD caviar blue 500GB 7200 RPM hard drives set up in RAID 0
$139.99 CAN($69.99 CAN each)

Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce GTX 275
$250.99 CAN

OCZ Stealthxstream 700W PSU
$124.99 CAN

Corsair Dominator 3x6GB RAM DDR3 1600
$207.99 CAN

Total:
$922.96 CAN

Build 1 Options:
Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz
$309.99 CAN

ASUS intel X58 ATX motherboard
$259.99 CAN

Total for computer if i choose these parts:
$1492.94 CAN

Build 2 Options:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz
$229.99 CAN

ASUS EVO AM3 785G motherboard
$119.99 CAN

Total for the computer if i choose these parts:
$1279.94 CAN

Which build is better?

That core i7 will destroy an AMD build. If you have the money for it, build #1 is the better performer.

of course it will, but in general use, both platforms will do the same thing,

both will do games fine, both will encode and surf the web fine

just spend less to still get amazing performance.
i doubt 4 second sorter time of extracting a rar file on an Intel build is worth the extra 300 ish bucks

But its the OP's choice.

im planning to go for a computer that'll be able to edit some photos and videos well along with some gaming. i was reading some tutorials on how to build a computer and they all say that an anti-static wrist strap is essential. do i really need it?

No, I have never used one. Just handle the components by the edge of the PCB to be sure.

If you want, you can install the PSU inside the case, then plug the PSU into the wall socket. This grounds the PSU and the case, so you can just touch the case to ground yourself.

i think that im going to go for the intel build, i was looking at benchmarks for flight simulator x and the intel core i7 920 gets 5 fps more than the amd processor

but just so you dont regret anything...

is that 5 extra FPS really worth the 300 some bucks extra to spend?

EDIT:
in every review iv ever seen from Tomshardware, they always like to shit on AMD over every little disadvantage it has aganst I7's

like once i seen a review of a phenom 2 940 compared with the i7 extreme.

Back
Top Bottom