HP Windows Vista Laptop, no internet, but says its connected...help

Jesse and Roxy

Beta member
Hey all,

I have been using Apples since 2000, and I know nothing about troubleshooting/repairing Windows issues.

My girlfriend has a 2 year old HP laptop with Vista Business. She just had cable and internet hooked up after living across seas for 3 months.

Comcast 12Mbps
Motorola modem
Apple Airport Express

I set up the network from my MacBook, connected her computer, and everything worked great for 2 days. Then one night, for no reason her computer shut itself completely down by itself. Since then she doesn't have internet. It is connected to the Airport just fine -- she can still use iTunes wirelessly thru the Airport, my MacBook is connected, internet works fine thru mine. So it is not an Airport issue.

If I connect her computer straight to the modem, and run network diagnostics, it says she is connected to the internet, excellent signal. If I try to load up a webpage, its says no connection, and then says Windows can't diagnose the problem, and to call the ISP. Well the internet is fine, My MacBook, MB Pro, and iPhone all work on wireless, and the 2 Macs direct connected work fine.

Is it possible when her computer crashed that it took out a piece of hardware in such a manner that Vista recognizes the internet is up, but just doesn't allow in or out transmissions? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jesse

Back
Top Bottom