Video Card problem, Unsure of how to describe, HELP!!

noyou

Solid State Member
I'm not sure how to describe this problem, hence not being able to find solutions using google or the search function. Just 'checkered tile'-like appearing. I'm using Windows 7 7100RC, was playing game [Savage2, fullscreen] and it just SUDDENLY happened. All of a sudden. I've tried system restore and it didn't work. I'm pretty sure its a video card problem, I tried disabling and enabling, uninstall and reinstall, updated drivers, windows updated... [only thing left to do is reseat it, but only if someone knows for absolute it will fix it]

So anyways....please refer to the images and see if you know anything about it.. (i've posted this question with pictures here)
Thanks.

It does sound like a hosed video card. Do you get that pattern on the desktop or while only playing games? Check to make sure the cooling fan on it is working properly, it could be overheating. You could try re-seating it, it can't hurt. If the card is still under warranty, you can contact the manufacturer to see about getting a replacement.

I get that pattern on desktop IF ONLY I turn on Aero dynamics [or whatever its called, like the semitransparent taskbar etc] With that on, I can't even see any text on msn, gmail, system information etc. I'm using it on High Colour 16-bit [as opposed to True Colour 32-bit] right now which doesn't show anything on desktop, but the problem persists still in games.

Also, it's 1-2 months new, would it still be possible for overheating?
I've tried reseating but couldn't take it out.
Thanks.

*worshipsyou*

Though I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try that xD Might be better to take it back to the guy who sold it to me, since its pretty new.

The explanation for the oven-trick according to jason4207 from ocforums is :
"Basically the solder joints can get brittle over time and develop micro-fractures. These can stop or weaken an electrical signal. Typically the tiny solder joints on the bottom of RAM chips are the earliest victims. The PCB has a bit of flex to it, but the chips do not, and that can exasperate the issue. So, the idea here is to melt all those tiny joints and let them re-harden into a like-new state."

Which I'm thinking shouldn't be the case with me? Since, its pretty new :S Despite the similiarities in symptoms.

Take it into repair vs the oven trick [which, undeniably, is a pretty high risk trick to pull off I think, and I'm still a but paranoid over taking responsibility over breaking anything, this new.] Recommendations?

Thanks

Ah ok, thanks.
Btw, How much should I brand new NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
Please include currency xD So I can convert.
Just so I know, incase I need to pay for 'additional' fees for warranty.
Thanks.
But continue with any suggestions, =]

New Zealand
Just in general though, I only need an approximate, maybe +/- $50-100?
Actually, i think I can look this up by myself now that you mention it like this ;P I'm so dependant >.>

Thanks [but provide your answer anyways ^^]

Back
Top Bottom