3D in films/games (thoughts?)

Kage

Golden Master
What does everyone think about the 3D craze that seems to be happening in films at the moment?

I watched The Final Destination in 3D today using the new RealD projector at the cinema and the 3D effect in my eyes really added to the fun capable of a film producing, and adds a lot more depth you are missing watching a 2D presentation.
http://www.reald.com/

I've been to many IMAX 3D showings and thought the same back then too.

The issues people have with 3D, seems to be the glasses themselves (though glasses free displays are being developed), and the fact some people say it harms the eyes.

The technology (at least the polarisation versions used in Imax 3D/RealD cinema's) works just like real life. One eye gets one view, and vice versa.

The only issue for me, is the frame rate the 3D effect is performed at compared to real life (obviously)

RealD uses one 120hz projector, capable of the effect of 2 frames appearing together, yet is switching 2 images alternating, and using a polarisor lens so one eye cannot recieve one of the images.

120FPS to me is still far too low for the 3D effect to be substantial.
I can still see flickering. Not enough to hurt my eyes at least, but its noticable for me, especially when having to focus from within the distance, to closer objects near you.
That is where the headaches etc come from, from this tech.

The Imax 3D experience however uses 2 projectors running at standard speed, but 24fps isn't enough for 3D viewing, for sure, especially in fast moving scenes. Its fine for 2D however.

What does everyone else think?
Sony are going to be releasing Sony Bravia TV's capable of 3D polerisation in 2010, which will work with all released PS3 games released so far, and in the future.

I just think they have to work a lot more on producing more frames per second. 240hz may relieve the effect completly.

However, the new film Avatar by James Cameron, is using a new type of 3D camera, that functions a lot more like the eyes do when an object appears closer (the lenses actually turn towards each other), and further away (pull apart), so the focusing problem a lot of people have with 3D will fade.

http://boolaka.com/media/p/933.aspx

I think its the next step forward in TV and Gaming formats really. I think some sort of hologram system would be the best way so we can get away from the whole glasses thing.

I can't wait to see FD3!

The whole 3D effect doesn't seem to work on people that wears glasses. Seems like the only way to enjoy 3D is to wear contacts, which I am not willing to buy for it.

That shouldn't be the case either. The glasses simply do the same thing as contacts. Most 3D glasses are built to be able to hook onto glasses.

My dad wears glasses, and can watch Imax 3D films perfectly fine, as an example.

The only issue comes if you need glasses, or are more blind in one eye than another (if specs/contacts couldn't fix it), since it relies on each eye picking up a focussed image, which could be difficult if one eye was performing a lot worse than another.

Well, that whole nvidia 3D experience doesnt seem to work on my friend, and me. The glasses wont go over our glasses, and those cheap 3D glasses doesn't work either.

How are you testing those cheap 3D glasses?

Anaglyph red/blue, blue/cyan?
Or the polerised versions you see in cinema's?

Are either of you colour blind at all? (That would affect the anaglyph versions).

The tech works in the same way as you percieve the real world, albeit in a non conventional way, by hiding one image from each eye.

If its the polerised versions you are testing with, the effect cannot be seen on standard monitors

Those cheap 3D glasses were Red/Blue IIRC. It was like one of those from a cereal box or 3D book.
Non-of us are color blind (at least not me). We only used those cheap 3D glasses on Crysis the was using that one nvidia software that makes the game look 3D. The original 3D glasses for the software worked fine, except that I have to either squint or look more closely to the screen to be able to see since they don't allow me to put on top of my glasses..

Oh :(
3D glasses in cinema's should be made to accompany most type of glasses though, so its still worth a shot.

It could be that the cheap red/blue glasses didn't have the correct colours used in the game, due to there being a slight difference in colours in 3D glasses, which would make a big difference.

Back
Top Bottom