Can my PC run a 1080p monitor?

basically me

Solid State Member
Hi everyone, I'm new here and i just had a quick question (kinda quick). I just got a new tower and I'm planning on getting a new monitor in about a month. I was looking at getting a 23" or 24" (probably an acer). In either case it will be 1080p (i will be hooking my xbox 360 up to it as well).

My new computer is an AMD phenom triple core with 2.1ghz (is that per core?) with 3gigs or RAM. But it only has an integrated video and sound card (the video card has 512mb of shared RAM I think).

I am borrowing an old 17" Dell LCD monitor (not widescreen) from a friend. I think I set the resolution on it to around 1280x960. It wouldn't let me set it to 1600x1200 (i think that was the other available resolution). Would it not let me set the monitor to that resolution because the monitor couldn't handle it? Or because the PC doesn't support it?

If I buy a new 1080p (native resolution) monitor will my computer even be able to run it at 1080p? Or will I have to buy a decent video card just to run a 1080p monitor at full resolution?

I have also been reading about external video cards that allow running multiple monitors at 1080p (only some of these external cards support 1080p i think). If my PC won't be able to run a 1080p monitor would I be able to buy one of these external video cards to make it work?

If anyone has any info or advice I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance.

You'll be able to use 1080p No problems on your computer. The only reason why you cant on the Older 17" monitor is because it wouldn't support 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom