Speaker ohms - how many am I using?

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
Sorry I know you have all explained this to me before but I still don't understand. Ok, the current speaker situation is 3x 8 Ohm surround speakers connected to my amp's 3 surround sockets (these can be ignored for now), but then my 2 Sony XB80AV speakers and my 2 ProSound 200W speakers. These 4 larger speakers are connected to the amplifier's stereo sockets (2 speakers per socket). I know this is overloaded but I can't afford a new amp. Each speaker says on the back of it that it is 8 Ohms but I have no idea is this is per speaker or per set of 2. The amplifer says it can take 8-16ohms in these sockets and doesnt appear to be getting hot even at full volume, but I think the speakers are greatly underpowered, I'm sure the amp is only 100W per channel. So I was wondering if anyone could help me work out the resistance and how badly underpowered the speakers are? Thanks

to see if u can hear if the speakers are under powerd, just put 1 speaker in each channel, instead of the 2 that are there now, and see if u hear a difference, if 1 speaker sounds better, then the 2 speakers are bringing down on the quality.

And if the speaker says it is 8 Ohms, then just that speaker is 8 ohms, not the pair, it is 8 ohms PER speaker.

the reason for the 8-16 ohm rating, is because there are 8 ohm and 16 ohm speakers out in the world.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2036409_speakers-8ohm-load.html

if speakers are put in series, they hafto add up to 16 ohms max for your amp to power them right, (2 speakers hooked together in series gives u 16ohms)

if speakers are put in parallel (only for 16ohm speakers mostly) there impedance is the same, so you take 16, then divided by 2 and u get 8ohms resistance.

so for instance if u put 2 8ohm speakers in parallel, u'll get a total of 4ohms impedance, which is to little to get the full bit of sound, speakers work best at 8ohms, especially if it is a mid range speaker.

Just use one pair of speakers for your mains. You're dropping your impedance levels down to 4 ohms, which your amplifier can't handle.

so for instance if u put 2 8ohm speakers in parallel, u'll get a total of 4ohms impedance, which is to little to get the full bit of sound, speakers work best at 8ohms, especially if it is a mid range speaker.

This is full of baloney.

thats not the retarded piece of meat u stated it to be,

if hes using 8ohm speakers, then of course they would work best at 8 ohms.

i did not infer that ALL mid range speakers work best at 8ohms, just the ones he mentioned specifically do.

It doesn't matter what the impedance levels are, as long as they are within the levels specified by the amplifier's manufacturer.

I guess.

IMO i'd rather use speakers at there rated value, as long as they are with tolerance of the amp or audio driver.

So what is this quote all about?

?_?

the load is to little, like....4 < 8 ? lol

and the speakers impedance is 8, so to ME, it wouldnt get the full load of the signal, the impedance isnt high enough to soak up all the current/voltage.

but w/e

Back
Top Bottom