Laptop needs to be replaced because of broken DVD drive...

LH-Danny

Baseband Member
As the thread title mentions, my HP G70-120EA laptop is going to have to be sent back after 9 months of owning it because the Blu-Ray DVD drive is kaput! I'm so glad it has a 1 year warranty.

However, there is one slight problem (or a big problem) which is I currently have Windows 7 installed and I know for a fact if it gets sent back like that they're going to reject it saying 'Windows 7 is not compatible that is your problem' - But how can I reinstall everything using the System Recovery discs because the DVD drive is broken? :confused:

I've tried using an external DVD drive, but for some reason the laptop would not recognise it during startup. I've also tried taking the hard drive out of my laptop and connecting it to my PC, but I then get the error message 'This PC is not supported by the system recovery discs; You will not be able to contine to recover this system with these discs'.

Great! I'm basically screwed over at the moment, and I'm wondering is there is an alternative way of doing this? Or even making the recovery think my PC is the laptop?

Thanks, :)

As the thread title mentions, my HP G70-120EA laptop is going to have to be sent back after 9 months of owning it because the Blu-Ray DVD drive is kaput! I'm so glad it has a 1 year warranty.

However, there is one slight problem (or a big problem) which is I currently have Windows 7 installed and I know for a fact if it gets sent back like that they're going to reject it saying 'Windows 7 is not compatible that is your problem' - But how can I reinstall everything using the System Recovery discs because the DVD drive is broken? :confused:

I've tried using an external DVD drive, but for some reason the laptop would not recognise it during startup. I've also tried taking the hard drive out of my laptop and connecting it to my PC, but I then get the error message 'This PC is not supported by the system recovery discs; You will not be able to contine to recover this system with these discs'.

Great! I'm basically screwed over at the moment, and I'm wondering is there is an alternative way of doing this? Or even making the recovery think my PC is the laptop?

Thanks, :)

Electrocute the hard drive until its unreadable.

Make them replace that as well.

^^That's almost helpful.....

It's hard to believe that the laptop didn't recoginize the external cd drive. Did you have it set to boot to USB in the bios? Maybe it's not capable but I'd start with checking that.

It had nothing about a USB Disc Drive in the BIOS, the only USB option to boot from was a USB Hard Drive; I tried booting just to be sure and it didn't attempt to boot from the DVD in the external.

If I write 0's to the drive, and send it back; do you think they would refuse it for having no OS?

I have no idea what they would do. I'd just send it back as is and see what they say. Tell them that it wasn't working on XP or Vista or whatever came on it originally either. Then tell them that if they want to test it, to load it with XP for you if they can figure out how.

I think the easiest way is to wipe the hard drive and say something along the lines of: 'Windows crashed so I wiped the drive and tried to reinstall it with the recovery discs but it wouldn't read them.'

Back
Top Bottom