New Build. Compatibility?

i wouln't invest in sli b/c you are buying slightly inferior cards. just b/c you have 2 cards, you will not have 2x the performace. this will not only increase temperature but will require you to buy a even more expensive power supply. if you are not going to game i highly suggest that you do not go sli or buy anything above a 9800gt. you will NOT need it.

if you do not game or run intensive programs, cpu and gpu temps will not be a huge concern so i would say to buy a relatively low profile computer case

you do not need a 1.5k computer for photoshop

I can't afford i5 or i7, because I'd have to up the mobo, and RAM as well.

But why would I want to? In Photoshop, I'm not gonna notice the difference between q9400 and i7

But I will notice the difference in games, especially in the future, between 2x gtx260s and anything lesser.

If I can strike a compromise between powerful long-term graphics, and plenty of CPU for Photoshop, then q series is fine, right?

In any case, I can't find any reason to get non-evga mobo. They have the best layouts and reputation that I can find. Remember, I started the build by choosing the most popular parts, then whittling it down by brand, then I cut costs to stay within budget.

The set up right now is at $1365 ($200 for Win7. I would get vista 64bit OEM for $100 and free win7, but I heard that with the OEM System Builders version, you aren't allowed to upgrade your computer.). So I have $135 to work with. If I use some of that to get good cooling, then I can overclock the q9400. Is that really so bad?

MOBO: EVGA 790i SLI FTW
CPU: q9400
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX260
PSU: Ultra 650w LSP650
HDD: WD 1T 32MB
RAM: 4x OCZ Titanium 2g DDR3 Dual Channel
CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932

My only concerns then are:
- How many watts PSU do I need for dual gtx260? Is 650 good?
- What CPU cooler do you suggest? If I do it right, I can get another HDD and a CPU cooler with the extra $135.

Intel Core i7 920 CPU
Asus P6T SE Motherboard
OCZ Obsidian 6GB (3 x 2GB) RAM
ZOTAC GeForce 9600 GT Graphics card
Western Digital Caviar Green Hard Drive
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W PSU
COOLER MASTER RC-690 Case
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit OS

Total $1027

Some of the components have been recommended already by WorshipMe.

An i7 set up for about 1000 dollors.

that is a sweet biuld for 1000 bucks on an I7 platform.
could just use that 500 u saved and get a HD 4870 1GB it would do it all for u. no problems.

It doesn't seem like the performance gain in Photoshop is worth the performance lost in GPU...

Add to that the dismissal of evga parts! It hurts!

And I have $1500, so we can be a little more liberal :)

You guys are trying to build a setup around the processor. But the difference in performance in Photoshop will be truly minimal (talking seconds over an entire retouch). I care about long term graphics more than a few seconds gained. Remember, I'm moving up from an amd3500+!!

Don't get me wrong, you guys are awesome, and I'm totally appreciative of all your help. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it all.

EVGA, makes just as good parts as ASUS, Foxcon, ect.
imo i think Asus is better.

the hD 4870 1GB is just as good as a Core 216

You guys are trying to build a setup around the processor.

well ya we are, and that I7 920 is a ton better then that proc u posted.

I care about long term graphics more than a few seconds gained.

if you want long term graphical support, then i suggest waiting another week or so till the 58xx family of cards comes out from ATI, they will pawn any current gen card from ATI or Nvidia.

or if you dont want to wait, you could get a 285 from Nvidia, or a 4890 Toxic from ATI.

both are amazing cards.

I know I would cream for those new cards. But they will be out of my price range.

OK for that price I could up the PSU and opt for dual gtx260 (over single 285).

How many watts do you recommend for dual gtx260?

well if that is what you want to get instead of maybe 1 285, and then go SLI with another 285 later...

I'd say 700-750W for a pSU would be good, because it would cover 2 core 216's easily, and leave u extra power to go SLI later down the road with bigger cards to.

Back
Top Bottom