Computer expertise

Your poll is too general. For example - I'm pretty well versed in notebooks, but I have absolutely no clue or interest in overclocking/writing programs/building my own computer.

you can't even use a mouse, a computer looks like a futuristic machine to you.

I can remember when I couldn't use a mouse, it really wasn't all that long ago.

you can't type and you are getting used to using the mouse.

strangely I could always type though, that's because I was around in the days of word 3, when all commands were accessed through letter combinations, not necessarily mouse clicks, can you imagine using a spreadsheet application without a mouse? good old 186 computers...

you type with 3 fingers and is just getting used to using the internet.

to be honest I only really ever type with three fingers, and I don't really see what's wrong with that.. (I only ever use the little fingers for pressing shift, and use thumbs for space), works for me and I type at a reasonable rate.

you can surf email and watch movies, type at 30 words a second and install your own games.

yes.

you know basic function of a computer and have mastered them, you can make your own basic game.

yes.

you can make a decent 2d side scroller, as well as hack into administrator privlieges.

yes, yes.

you can make your own spyware, and can make a 2d game similar to rct1 and 2.
done it before, and never bothered before

you can make a virus, can make your own credit card info and a mid 90s era 3d game.
yes, if I wanted, don't need a computer for that, all the calculations used to check the number are far easier to do in your head or on a scrap of paper, and why would I want to do that exactly?

you can make your own computer from scratch, it may not work with any operating system.
done it plenty of times, and it always worked with my chosen operating system

you and can change the way a system works, such as the task bar flipping.

yes.

but I don't really think that's particularly advanced either

working from the bottom I get stuck at level three because of my poor typing skills...

we need more poll options!
how about...

11, you can change the way a system works, such as over clocking. squeezing out all the spare performance that you can.

12, windows? what windows I use linux.

13, GUI - I need no GUI.

14, I design and make my own web pages

15, I design and make my own software

16, I set up my own windows servers

17, I set up my own linux/unix servers

18, I set up software on my own servers

19, I set up enterprise level solutions on my servers

20, I see the matrix

21, (Black jack!), I can control the matrix

22, I realise that there is no matrix, it was just a film.

Well, I have a great amount of PC knowledge, shoot I better! My first computer was n IBM XT back in the early 80s. I learned how to take it apart, and how it worked, and it was so awesome to install games and programs via the 5.25 floppy. Over the years, I got into more of the meat and potatoes of computers. How they function, how program code works, how to write in program languages, how to compile, and de-compile, modifying, building, etc etc. I learned all this on my own, and by reading books of course!

Today I am an IT Systems Leader at my company, Jeffco. I built our servers, our PC's, I run and maintain them. I built our website.

I use Linux based servers, and a Windows based server. I fully understand MySQL, MSsql, Novell, Apple Server OS-X, Linux Red Hat and Ubuntu Server. Plus more, but wow I am taking to much space :eek:

I would say I am a 10. Myself and one other IT guy here wrote the program we use for our order entry system. We call it "DUDE" for "Damn Useful Damn Easy" :cool:

^That is truely impressive stuff.

But I think you can divide the computer world into 3rds.

1/3 - Programming
1/3 - Hardware/Software (software in terms of working within an OS)
1/3 - Networking

Then of course most of those categories can be broken down even further, but in general I think most people excel in one, are good in another and usually avoid the 3rd (knowing enough about it to get by). For me, I execl in Networking, am good at Hardware, and know enough about software to survive. I work as a Technology Coordinator for a school, so my skill sets fits into my job perfectly.

on your limited poll i scored a 5 out of 10
cant make games and dont care
and 30 WPM?
you might as well stick to snail mail (USPS)
build pcs.......... yes
mod pcs.......... yes
install everything........... yes
trouble shoot network........ yes
sync multiple devices (360 and all of the pcs in the house to make a server system)............... yes
use the shared folder on another pc as a server................ yes
do the parents know that i am using the space on their HDD............ no :D

I think I'm a 4, except I don't know how to surf email, or even what that is. So I guess I'm just a three.

11, you can change the way a system works, such as over clocking. squeezing out all the spare performance that you can.

12, windows? what windows I use linux.

13, GUI - I need no GUI.

14, I design and make my own web pages

15, I design and make my own software

16, I set up my own windows servers

17, I set up my own linux/unix servers

18, I set up software on my own servers

19, I set up enterprise level solutions on my servers

20, I see the matrix

21, (Black jack!), I can control the matrix

22, I realise that there is no matrix, it was just a film.
I think that I am deffinitely a 12, and I don't need a gui, terminal for the win. I am 17 I set up my own linux servers and I can installed software from source on them.

^That is truely impressive stuff.

But I think you can divide the computer world into 3rds.

1/3 - Programming
1/3 - Hardware/Software (software in terms of working within an OS)
1/3 - Networking

Then of course most of those categories can be broken down even further, but in general I think most people excel in one, are good in another and usually avoid the 3rd (knowing enough about it to get by). For me, I execl in Networking, am good at Hardware, and know enough about software to survive. I work as a Technology Coordinator for a school, so my skill sets fits into my job perfectly.

I think that there is still a fourth area for building computers, as in physically putting them together.

I think that generally I'd say that my excel area is probably Software support, but that's because my job is doing software support for a load of different companies, (I work in a company that provides outsourced support to loads of companies).
that said, I'm also reasonably good at networking, can and have done lots of work on network planning in a previous job, and in this job now also worked with routers and switches, (from the CLI over a console connection, not just with a lovely web admin pages).
as for programming, I'm not too bad at that, I used to be a lot better when I used to program more,

like jikifreak I do an awful lot with computers, but most of that isn't really applicable here, (I mean nobody here really cares for setting up enterprise applications like jikifreak listed, cause most people here are just in their own homes).

Back
Top Bottom