New Build. Compatibility?

hash3m

Solid State Member
I have a budget of $1500 for a new Digital Design computer that I intend to use for several years for Photoshop CS4.

If you think I will run into issues with this build (are all the parts compatible?), please let me know. If you have general advice, that's welcome too ;)

MOTHERBOARD - EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW
TigerDirect - $189

GPU - evga GTX 295 Co Op
TigerDirect - $499

CPU - Core 2 Quad 9400
TigerDirect - $189

CPU COOLER - ZEROtherm CF900
TigerDirect - $39

PSU - OCZ 850w GameXStream
TigerDirect - $129

CASE - Thermaltake Spedo Full
TigerDirect - $219

RAM - OCZ Gold Tri Channel 6GB PCI16000 DDR3
TigerDirect - $139

HDD - WD 1TB 32MB SATA-300 OEM
TigerDirect - $89

OS - Windows XP Pro 32bit

I have a budget of $1500 for a new Digital Design computer that I intend to use for several years for Photoshop CS4.

If you think I will run into issues with this build (are all the parts compatible?), please let me know. If you have general advice, that's welcome too ;)

MOTHERBOARD - EVGA nForce 790i SLI FTW
TigerDirect - $189

GPU - evga GTX 295 Co Op
TigerDirect - $499

CPU - Core 2 Quad 9400
TigerDirect - $189

CPU COOLER - ZEROtherm CF900
TigerDirect - $39

PSU - OCZ 850w GameXStream
TigerDirect - $129

CASE - Thermaltake Spedo Full
TigerDirect - $219

RAM - OCZ Gold Tri Channel 6GB PCI16000 DDR3
TigerDirect - $139

HDD - WD 1TB 32MB SATA-300 OEM
TigerDirect - $89

OS - Windows XP Pro 32bit

Overpriced case imo. Do you even need a full-tower case? I recommend the Antec 1200 if you do.

Why the Core 2 Quad? Step it up to an i7 imo.

Does the C2Q even support triple channel RAM?

Never heard of that CPU cooler.

You need a 64-bit operating system for >4GB RAM.

For photo/video editing I recommend you set up 2 of those hard drives in RAID 0.

Great videocard, probably the best out there atm.

NewEgg > TigerDirect.

Get the i7 with a X58 mobo, set up a RAID 0 array, and maybe a better CPU HSF (V8 anybody?) if you plan to overclock. Should be able to within a $1500 budget. Maybe drop down the GPU a bit, that thing is overkill.

OK I'm now looking at i5 750 core.

I'm looking at a big case because of airflow for cooling and to make sure my card will fit, and that it will fit a second one some day. I switched to the Cooler Master 932, but if you have a better idea please let me know.

That brings the total down $50.

But then I have to switch mobos, and I can't seem to find an SLI LGA1156 that keeps me under $1500.

I don't really know why I chose triple channel RAM, except its "better" and didn't seem to cost very much more than double channel.

I now understand that I need 64bit OS, but I still have the $1500 budget so I'm doing my best to put it all together. I've been on NewEgg and TigerDirect for like 48 hours straight :).

All help is appreciated!!

OK I'm now looking at i5 750 core.

I'm looking at a big case because of airflow for cooling and to make sure my card will fit, and that it will fit a second one some day. I switched to the Cooler Master 932, but if you have a better idea please let me know.

That brings the total down $50.

But then I have to switch mobos, and I can't seem to find an SLI LGA1156 that keeps me under $1500.

I don't really know why I chose triple channel RAM, except its "better" and didn't seem to cost very much more than double channel.

I now understand that I need 64bit OS, but I still have the $1500 budget so I'm doing my best to put it all together. I've been on NewEgg and TigerDirect for like 48 hours straight :).

All help is appreciated!!

I still think you're dumping way too much into that $500 GPU.

You can build an all-around better system if you drop down to a $200 or $250 GPU and upgrade the CPU/MOBO/RAM/Hard Drives with that extra.

(facepalm)

Im confused, if you are using photoshop why on earth do you need a good graphics card? huge misconception. photoshop will not stress the gpu.

i say spend 70 for the gpu

no need an i7 for photoshop, quad is perfectly fine

no need for tri channel ram for photoshop

you might want raid 0 for photoshop but backing up data is crucial

huge overkill on the case, motherboard, ram and especially graphics card and psu (no need for 850 watt unless you need to sli)

you can spend half the price and it will run photoshop for "several years"

Only but triple channel if you get the i5 or i7. Otherwise, if you go with the Nvidia 790i chipset, get dual channel.

All that triple channel means, is that it is a three module kit. Dual channel means that you get two modules. If you get the 790i chipset, make sure you get Dual channel (2 or 4 modules), because it supports dual channel, not triple.

Make sure you get a 64 bit OS with 4GB or more of RAM.

(facepalm)

Im confused, if you are using photoshop why on earth do you need a good graphics card? huge misconception. photoshop will not stress the gpu.

i say spend 70 for the gpu

no need an i7 for photoshop, quad is perfectly fine

no need for tri channel ram for photoshop

you might want raid 0 for photoshop but backing up data is crucial

huge overkill on the case, motherboard, ram and especially graphics card and psu (no need for 850 watt unless you need to sli)

you can spend half the price and it will run photoshop for "several years"

Yeah I was wondering about the $500 GPU as well... Mine is a gaming rig and I'm only putting $400 (2x $200 HD 4890s) in it... *shrug* thought maybe he wanted to do gaming as well

Do I need a full tower? What is the purpose of a full tower? I'm beginning to think they're for people who want lots of drives, which I don't.

I figured I need one to fit the huge GPUs nowadays.

Will smaller towers fit ATX mobos with GTX series GPUs?

I'm thinking of replacing the gtx295 with gtx250+gtx260, if that helps. Airflow and enough space for my cards is what I'm worried about.

Do I need a full tower? What is the purpose of a full tower? I'm beginning to think they're for people who want lots of drives, which I don't.

I figured I need one to fit the huge GPUs nowadays.

Will smaller towers fit ATX mobos with GTX series GPUs?

I'm thinking of replacing the gtx295 with gtx250+gtx260, if that helps. Airflow and enough space for my cards is what I'm worried about.

Full Tower is only necessary if you plan on putting multiple drives and cards and big parts.

If you meant a GTX250 + GTX260 in SLI, you can't do that, you have to SLI 2 of the same card. If you meant a GTX250 OR GTX260, go with a GTX260 Core 216 if you plan on doing any gaming, if just photoshop & internet browsing, any cheap card will work.

Ok then I'd like to SLI 2 gtx 260s. EVGA says they require 500w. What kind of PSU will I need for dual 260s? I found a 650w by Ultra for pretty cheap, and it had strictly high ratings...

Back
Top Bottom