to optical drive or not optical drive

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
just curious if you included an optical drive in your recent /// future computer build?

and why?

my impression is that optical drives are dead in the water.

An optical drive includes CD/DVD writers/Blu-ray drives, etc, etc...

So... of course I will...

I would never fully go download only, and I doubt hardly anyone would want to either. I do hate scratched non-working discs, but theres something better about having it physically in the first place.

To make downloads viable, they have to be a lot cheaper than retail counterparts, whatever the media is, be it games or films, and preferably with audio, lossless. Until then, no.

Some things are easier to just go out and buy instead of downloading. It is always easiest to include an optical drive

An optical drive includes CD/DVD writers/Blu-ray drives, etc, etc...

So... of course I will...

I would never fully go download only, and I doubt hardly anyone would want to either. I do hate scratched non-working discs, but theres something better about having it physically in the first place.

To make downloads viable, they have to be a lot cheaper than retail counterparts, whatever the media is, be it games or films, and preferably with audio, lossless. Until then, no.

I'm pretty much download only (downloaded all my WoW expansions, pre-ordered AION Online download through Steam, bought TF2 and stuff through steam) but I still wouldn't be caught dead without an optical drive.

it would be interesting to see just how much one would need an optical drive
and to just see how much you really need one

unless you could code someway of using a different pc that would house all of the optical drives that you would want

or maybe use the remote desktop feature to run the drive on your desktop

just me thinking again
dont mind me

I use it on a daily basis. How could i watch DVDs or burn some of my school stuff onto CDs? Not to mention old games like Army Men that run quite well on Vista x64.

Back
Top Bottom