Cannot connect to wireless network using WPA-PSK

Daviss

Baseband Member
Hello,
I recently changed my isp and they took the wireless router with them. So I found this old D-Link DI-614+ router, just set it up and the thing is that when I use WPA-PSK (passphrase) security, I cant connect to the network. I managed to connect to it with my old laptop (also not with the first time) but not with my new laptop. However when I made it into an unsecured network, I could connect with both laptops with the first time. Any ideas why this is happening? The other security options are WEP/Shared key/WPA/WPA-PSK

WPA-PSK seems like the easiest to set up, it asks only for a passphrase, the others I dont quite understand..

Update:
Well, right now, I can connect to the network with my old Fujitsu-Siemens (Win XP), its still a bit dodgy when connecting but it connects eventually and stays connected. I still cant connect with my Acer laptop (Win 7 and Win XP) .. Ive tried everything I can think of. Only thing I havent tried is reinstalling the WLAN driver but this shouldnt be the problem as Ive connected to a wireless network multiple times before without any problems (also could connect when made this network unsecured). Also id like to note that when trying to connect to the wireless network both in Win XP and 7, it disconnects really fast. It tries to connect only for like 3 seconds and then boom unable to connect.

It sounds like you may not have the security setup properly. Try changing it to WEP and see if that works. I don't know if it is possible, but the WLAN card may not support a certain type of security. Try another kind and see if that works.

Yep, Im using WEP now. I wanted to use WPA because I hear WEP is pretty insecure but WEP will have to do. I hate this crappy D-Link router...

I doubt that it is the router. It is more likely your WLAN card. You could try just WPA and see if that helps too.

Also, if you make your WEP key something more complicated it won't be as easily accessed. Plus no one is likely going to try to hack your network, and if they do, no amount of security is going to stop them.

Back
Top Bottom