Crossfire witht his card

Crossfire and SLI have to be with 2 of the exact same cards

Yes and no.

IIRC: SLI requires the same card for compatibility, Crossfire is compatible with any same-generation cards.

you cant crossfire a 4870(x2) with a 4850(x2).

Yes you can. You can't, for example, SLI a GTX 260 and GTX 275, or Crossfire a 3300 and 4850 (different generation cards).

HOWEVER: If you crossfire a card with a lower card (i.e. 4890 with a 4850) it drags down the performance to the clock speeds of the lower card, so a 4890 + 4850 in crossfire would be equal to having 2x 4850s in crossfire.

MARIOPARTY53 -
Can you please supply us with the specs of the rest of your system? Throwing another video card in there may not be the best solution.

"When in doubt, add more videocard" isn't a great idea.

List the rest of your specs, there are other places you can improve; or I'd even recommend overclocking before throwing a pile of GPUs into your case.

Yes and no.

IIRC: SLI requires the same card for compatibility, Crossfire is compatible with any same-generation cards.

Yes you can. You can't, for example, SLI a GTX 260 and GTX 275, or Crossfire a 3300 and 4850 (different generation cards).

HOWEVER: If you crossfire a card with a lower card (i.e. 4890 with a 4850) it drags down the performance to the clock speeds of the lower card, so a 4890 + 4850 in crossfire would be equal to having 2x 4850s in crossfire.

sry, i shouldnt have put that, i was typing for the red team and thinking of the green team :rolleyes:

its been a bad day, my apologies. :(

sry, i shouldnt have put that, i was typing for the red team and thinking of the green team :rolleyes:

its been a bad day, my apologies. :(

Np; just making sure he gets the right info :)

In either case (SLI or Crossfire) its not a good idea to combine 2 different cards anyway. 1 won't work, and 1 you're just gimping 1 of your cards.

the best advise i could say is,

Either spend the money ud spend on 2 cards, and get 1 really powerfull kick ass card, 4890 atomic/Toxic from ATI or a GTX 295 from Nvidia

could be your CPU being the bottleneck as well.

the best advise i could say is,

Either spend the money ud spend on 2 cards, and get 1 really powerfull kick ass card, 4890 atomic/Toxic from ATI or a GTX 295 from Nvidia

could be your CPU being the bottleneck as well.

Pretty sure Crysis has good driver support for dual GPU setups; in which case the 4850X2 would outperform either of those cards.

Need to know the rest of the specs to make further recommendations, but if he wants to push his computer a bit harder he could just OC his CPU, GPU, & RAM.

Back
Top Bottom