3 gb/s not actually 3 gb/s

eesotereh

In Runtime
I noticed this today when I was transferring data from one sata to another. Both 3 gb/s, 16mb cache. Transfer speed was about 102 mb/s. Am I missing something here?

I think 3GB/s is the theoretical throughput of the SATA II interface, never to be actually expected. I believe this is because the actual drives themselves could not manage that much speed. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I think 3GB/s is the theoretical throughput of the SATA II interface, never to be actually expected. I believe this is because the actual drives themselves could not manage that much speed. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I guess you can "false advertise" as long as it holds water in theory :p

thanks for the response!

I thought so too.
I always thought it works like a PCI Express Slot.
Just because it's bandwith is a certain number, doesn't mean that the card will work at that speed, it depends on the card, not the slot.
I think in a few years down the road the hard drives will be able to do 3gb/s and we will end up getting a new interface.

Also, you may be mistaking 3 gigabits/second for 3 gigabytes/ second. The SATAII interface has a theoretical bandwidth of 3 gigabits/second. This comes out to around 385 Megabytes/second.

Also, you may be mistaking 3 gigabits/second for 3 gigabytes/ second. The SATAII interface has a theoretical bandwidth of 3 gigabits/second. This comes out to around 385 Megabytes/second.

Oh man, that changes a lot! Thanks for that, I misunderstood it for gigabyte. So it actually is not that far off then.

Back
Top Bottom