Best Value Graphics Upgrade for my Dell Dimension E310

xFLuRRy

Baseband Member
Hey im looking for a Cheap Graphics Upgrade for my Dell Dimension E310, im trying to run Call of Duty 4 but its not looking good for me,
i have no experience buying/installing a Graphics card, and im not even sure if my Computer can hold one because of my Integrated Graphics card, Can anyone help?

BTW, i Used Can You RUN It? and everything passed except my Graphics card,
here is the Video Card Result:

Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card

Video RAM: Required - 128 MB , You have - 128 MB
Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - No
Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 0.0
Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 2.0 , You have - 2.0

i Also tryed running the Demo and it said:
Video card or driver doesn't support UBYTE4N vertex data.

Am i totally Screwed or do i have a chance if i get the right video card?

Hi, I have found a graphics card for you, unfortunately your system is a non-graphics upgradeable system as far as PCI-E and AGP slot. The only thing that will go into your system is a PCI graphics card. Your in luck, look at the reviews on this card and see that other users are reporting that COD4 will run on this card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139046

The 9500gt in my experience is a good card. This will probably be your best bet. Much better than the integrated graphics. Please post any more questions if you have them.

Thanks a ton! i have one more question tho, how can i tell where my PCI Slot is? is there a video tutorial or anything to see what it looks like?

Thanks a ton! i have one more question tho, how can i tell where my PCI Slot is? is there a video tutorial or anything to see what it looks like?

Hehe it's near the bottom of your "Motherboard" trust me you'll know it's there, it's just an open slot :)
But just to be safe
pci_slot.jpg
The white ones are PCI

Yup, just take out the place holder on the back of your case, plug the card in, plug in power if needed, install drivers, and you're ready to rock ;-)

I'm getting different results when I google that model number, one of the results comes up with one PCIe x1 slot and two PCI slots, definitely not like the picture above, where did you get that picture...?

this is the image I get...

dell_dimension_3100_397x500.jpg

the E310 motherboard...

dell_intel_d915gv_express_p4_lga_775_motherboard_jc474.jpg

and only 4 expansion slots in the back in this picture...

DSCN3103.JPG

if it does have a PCIe slot then another option is a PCIe x1 4350, which would just about double the bandwidth, the problem is that it's expensive ($100+) and even with almost double the bandwidth I don't know if it would beat the PCI 9500GT...

I'm getting different results when I google that model number, one of the results comes up with one PCIe x1 slot and two PCI slots, definitely not like the picture above, where did you get that picture...?

That was not from that desktop.
I Just pulled up a random motherboard photo to show him :)

I think he would be better off doing the 9500gt just for the fact he doesn't question whether he has that PCI-E or not. Just get the PCI one and you will be just fine.

Alright, i Opened up my Computer and i looked and the PCI slots look like they are already being used by something. is this a problem?

Alright, i Opened up my Computer and i looked and the PCI slots look like they are already being used by something. is this a problem?

Is there even one open?
There is probably a slot being used for some built in router crap or something that has the ability to have a phone line going in.
You can just put the card into an empty one, or just pull an unused one out :)

Back
Top Bottom