64bit OS Confusion

LstAtro

Beta member
I'm confused on the 64bit OS thing; I hope someone can clear this up for me. If you wanted to upgrade to a 64bit OS do you need to make sure all components in your system are able to handle that? When you look at new PC component requirements/spec's it doesn't normally mention “64bit compatible” does that mean that it's kind of like an industry standard its implied by the absence of the 64bit compatible label? Or is it a pure software thing and has nothing to do with the hardware so they don't mention it. I'm really only wondering about the motherboard, RAM, and video card do those specifically have to say they can work with a 64bit OS? (normally the CPU says something about 64bit).
The reason why I ask is because I want to build a new rig and would like to have a 64bit OS on it; vista or 7. And don't want to go and get the parts that I think will work and turns out they won't because its 64bit. (Though that's what the receipt is for :p)

Thanks for any input.

to go along with folder, if you processor is x64 then your motherboard will be also. The simple way to explain it is when computers went from 16bit to 32bit, but now its 32bit to 64 bit, its a CPU architecture.

Back
Top Bottom