Need help looking for an aftermarket CPU cooler

Now don't take my word for it, I'm not too experienced.
Wait until someone else confirms or gives proper numbers, but I think that is about right.
10 degrees Celsius is pretty big.

Yeah if it was 10degrees I might do it, but I could probably get a 5 degree drop from a $30 heatsink.

Temperature decrease is dependent on ambient temperatures, as well as hardware. You may see more temperature increase on an i7 rig than a Phenom II or vice versa. However, that temperature decrease could mean the difference in overclocking.

I'm not familiar with the heat output of a Phenom II, but that's the best heatsink on the market. The downside is that because of it's 100% copper construction, the thing is heavier than any heatsink should be so making your own extra support for the heatsink is strongly advised.

A couple of things about that heatsink:

1) You should consider lapping it. Thermalright's heatsinks are awesome, but their bases aren't so much.

2) The TRUE benefits from higher CFM/static pressure fans. Going with 38MM thick fans isn't a bad idea.

If you don't want to spend that much, the regular TRUE is a cheaper alternative.

I'm not familiar with the heat output of a Phenom II, but that's the best heatsink on the market. The downside is that because of it's 100% copper construction, the thing is heavier than any heatsink should be so making your own extra support for the heatsink is strongly advised.

A couple of things about that heatsink:

1) You should consider lapping it. Thermalright's heatsinks are awesome, but their bases aren't so much.

2) The TRUE benefits from higher CFM/static pressure fans. Going with 38MM thick fans isn't a bad idea.

If you don't want to spend that much, the regular TRUE is a cheaper alternative.

Eep, that thing is heavy.

Hm, how about something thats a bit... lighter?

So, I'm thinking I've made a decision:

TRUE black 120
with:
  • Select a Fan: : 120x38mm - 142 CFM - Delta EFB1212SHE-F00 (+18.99)
  • Optional 120x25mm Fan Holder: : Thermalright 120mm Fan Holder (+4.99)
  • Optional Fan Grill: : NONE
  • Optional Zalman Fanmate 2: : NONE
  • Optional ArctiClean Kit: : NONE
  • Optional Thermal Paste: : NONE
Good choice? $99.24 after S&H (fedex ground).

How high do you think I could OC my Phenom II X4 955 (24/7, stable, under full load) with this baby on it?

It's $5 more than the regular 120x; and like $30+ less than the copper one, I didn't want to deal with the weight/price of the copper version.

This is like the next best thing, eh?

i dont know if this was brought up...

but i have a Cooler master v8 hSF

and with it at idle in a room thats about...id say 70F it idles at around 28*C

i dont know if this was brought up...

but i have a Cooler master v8 hSF

and with it at idle in a room thats about...id say 70F it idles at around 28*C

How much does it cost?

And (*edit: Nvm u have a P2 940 of course it fits)

Link plz :D

Not bad... ill try it out; thx :)

the Xigmatek S1283 is also an excellent air cooler, probably the price/performance champion, the TRUE beats it, but not by much and that's usually only if you put in the effort to lap the TRUE, it is 1/3 the price ($36.60 shipped and $26.60 after $10 MIR) and performs comparably to the TRUE...

it's the most cost efficient air cooling solution out ATM...

Back
Top Bottom