Sick of Dell. Need a new Desktop and Netbook. Help me out?

Notedog

Baseband Member
Ok, so here's what I need.

A desktop that costs around $750 (Not including screen)
Good for playing modern video games, and easy to upgrade. I'd also want it to have a good CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive, and at least 320 GB HDD.

A Netbook that costs around $400
A built in web cam, and a long battery life. Memory card slots, and the ability to transform in to a tablet.

So what company do I go with? What specifications do I want?

I'd like to have my old Dell lap top, a new desktop, and a new netbook each running Windows 7, the best anti-virus software, and each with the newest version of microsoft office. I'd want all of them to be united with one 1.5 TB Hard drive as the back up hard drive so I wont have to worry about loosing my files if it crashes again. I also want a Hard Drive that can separate my personal files from my OS system. I don't know what this is called, but Ive heard of it, and it sounds like it will protect my files when my OS crashes.

But do I want Windows 7? Should I get a Mac instead since they supposedly cant get Viruses? How will I install software on my netbook? Could I plug it in to my desktop and install it from there? Should I stick with Dell, since I'll be able to use a single warranty to cover all of them?

Ok, so here's what I need.

A desktop that costs around $750 (Not including screen)
Good for playing modern video games, and easy to upgrade. I'd also want it to have a good CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drive, and at least 320 GB HDD.

A Netbook that costs around $400
A built in web cam, and a long battery life. Memory card slots, and the ability to transform in to a tablet.

So what company do I go with? What specifications do I want?

I'd like to have my old Dell lap top, a new desktop, and a new netbook each running Windows 7, the best anti-virus software, and each with the newest version of microsoft office. I'd want all of them to be united with one 1.5 TB Hard drive as the back up hard drive so I wont have to worry about loosing my files if it crashes again. I also want a Hard Drive that can separate my personal files from my OS system. I don't know what this is called, but Ive heard of it, and it sounds like it will protect my files when my OS crashes.

But do I want Windows 7? Should I get a Mac instead since they supposedly cant get Viruses? How will I install software on my netbook? Could I plug it in to my desktop and install it from there? Should I stick with Dell, since I'll be able to use a single warranty to cover all of them?

For gaming especially, no you don't want your rig to be a Mac.

Yes, you do want Windows 7.

Are you willing/able to assemble your own computer from parts? You can get a lot more out of your money, and get exactly what you want. (for the desktop).

For the notebook idk somebody else will have to help you there.

How hard would it be? If its as simple as buying a shell, inserting the parts and installing the OS, I'd love to do it.

How hard would it be? If its as simple as buying a shell, inserting the parts and installing the OS, I'd love to do it.

As long as you don't fry your parts with static electricity (don't work on a carpet; dont wear a ton of clothes; dont wear socks, etc.) and don't try to smash pieces in slots they don't belong, its not that hard.

We can help you through the building process if you have trouble.

I highly recommend building over buying pre-built to everybody.

You get exactly what you want, you get more power for the same money (or same power for less money) and in the future if you have trouble, you'll have more knowledge as to what's wrong with your computer, or be able to replace parts easily.

What kind of games do you want it to run, at what resolutions, and what "eye-candy" settings?

We can help you build a good rig for $750.

Hmm.. that sounds good. So what would I want to but for $750 How much Ram? Megahertz? What motherboard? What Shell for that matter since I have to start somewhere. The idea of "actually understanding" and being "well knowledged" sounds appetizing to me, since I'm sick of being a shit for brains when it comes to computers.

Hmm.. that sounds good. So what would I want to but for $750 How much Ram? Megahertz? What motherboard? What Shell for that matter since I have to start somewhere. The idea of "actually understanding" and being "well knowledged" sounds appetizing to me, since I'm sick of being a shit for brains when it comes to computers.

The case is mostly your choice of how it looks, with some exceptions.

Obviously its not just a box, the case has to have sufficient ventilation & fans for cooling, as well as enough ports/slots and room for the parts that you choose.

It'd help to have a bit better idea on what games/resolutions/settings and programs you plan to run, how many monitors; etc.

Just one wide screen monitor. Probably the most demanding game I have is L4D. As far as programs go... nothing much more advanced than Microsoft word. My quick responses unfortunately have to come to an end as im heading out, but I'll be back later. Thank you!

Just one wide screen monitor. Probably the most demanding game I have is L4D. As far as programs go... nothing much more advanced than Microsoft word. My quick responses unfortunately have to come to an end as im heading out, but I'll be back later. Thank you!

Sorry got busy then forgot about your post, now I'm headed to sleep.

I'll start suggesting some parts for you tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom