Need a New GPU! Suggestions

would like to spend around $100, I am currently not playing WOW I was just using that as an example, so if i ever get the urge to play a game with them graphics or alike I wont have a problem. Thanks

would like to spend around $100, I am currently not playing WOW I was just using that as an example, so if i ever get the urge to play a game with them graphics or alike I wont have a problem. Thanks

Okay, what resolution/settings would you like it to handle?

Here's an HD 4850 for $105... That's still a good card. If you wait a bit longer, the unveiling/release of the new HD 5800 series cards will probably drive prices down and you can probably get a 4870 for about $100.

And then NVIDIA will probably push out there GTX300 series to compete with the HD 5800 series, so if you can wait, probably worth it.

How long is a "Bit longer"? I would like to play games at the highest res thats possible. Thanks for the help computear, Ive learned alot in these past 2 days.

How long is a "little longer"? I would like to play games at the highest res thats possible. Thanks for the help computear, Ive learned alot in these past 2 days.

Well, ATI is going to unveil the HD 5800 series on September 10, 2009 (4 days from now); and will release the series starting most likely in October. It's worth at least waiting until Sept10; the unveiling of the new series might affect prices.

If not, the 4850 is still a nice card if your budget is ~$100.

Maybe an NVIDIA fan can offer you a GTX equivalent of the 4850 if you'd prefer.

Will the 4850 Beable to handle most anything? I use to have a geforce 8500 GT, how much of a step up is the 4850? Thanks

The 8500 GT has a 450MHz core clock and 533MHz memory clock vs the HD 4850's 625MHz core clock and 1990MHz memory clock, and 512MB vs 256MB VRAM will help for higher resolutions.

It's a decently big step up. Expect a noticeable difference over your 8500 GT.

The 4850 should be able to handle WoW at ultra-high fine... Idk I've never used it I'm going with a 4890 for $200.

Maybe somebody who has used the 4850 can let you know, or somebody can recommend an alternative card.

Alright I think I may go with that then, Thanks again for the help! Also is there a site or on here that kind of has an overview and comp. parts and stuff? I would like to know what the core clock and memory clock are and all them other names are. as you can see im a newb :)

i can tell you right now that the 4850 can max any game without an overclock except Crysis, it plays it on gamer settings, almost enthusiast.

i can tell you right now that the 4850 can max any game without an overclock except Crysis, it plays it on gamer settings, almost enthusiast.

Well there you go.

4850, good card in your budget.

Newegg lists the clock speeds and whatnot under the Specifications tab, I just use those to compare, as well as considering overclockability.

So is it also a nice card to overclock in the future, just incase i need a little more out of it?

Back
Top Bottom